Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2009 07:00

FREEZING INSPIRON 1545

My laptop froze on me the other night and so i couldn't shut it down properly and had to hold in the power button to turn it off. As expected, the next time i turned my laptop on it came up an error message that it hadn't been shut down properly etc etc. It then began to check the disc drives etc and all was fine, logged onto vista as normal and another error came up about Windows Live Messanger being unable to open.

Laptop froze at this point and had to turn it off again. When i turned it back on and logged into vista i was met with a blue screen warning me of a critical error that may harm my compter and so it restarted, as it came back on again it froze. Everytime i turn it on it freezes on the desktop. Can't even get on to run a virus scan or anything. I'm assuming it has something to do with Windows Live Messanger but i can't even get in to delete that. Any ideas?

I don't know too much about computers, only the basics. Hope someone can help :emotion-6:

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 21st, 2009 08:00

You could try using the dell quick restore, note this will set your computer back to factory settings but erase all your files on the computer.

The following is taken from your user manual:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Using Dell™ PC Restore and Dell Factory Image Restore

NOTICE: Using Dell PC Restore or Dell Factory Image Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using these options. Use PC Restore or Dell Factory Image Restore only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.
 NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec and Dell Factory Image Restore may not be available in certain countries or on certain computers.

Use Dell Factory Image Restore (Windows Vista) or Dell PC Restore (Windows XP) only as the last method to restore your operating system.

These options restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore or Factory Image Restore.

Windows Vista: Dell Factory Image Restore

1. Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options window.

2. Select Repair Your Computer.

The System Recovery Options window appears.

1. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

2. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

3. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
 NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.

The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.

1. Click Next.

The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.

1. Click the check box to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, and then click Next.

The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

1. Click Finish to reboot the system.

If you have files on your computer that aren't backed up this will erase them however, you could try reinstalling vista by the discs supplied, however this may disrupt the ability to use dell quick restore later on and may not help you if it is a virus on your computer.

November 30th, 2009 14:00

I am having Dell Inspiron 1545. When I bought this laptop it was having a Windows Vista Home Premium. It was with 2 disc partitions. C:, and E:. On Drive E: there was recovery kind of softwares.  I was having a problem with the OS so I reformatt the C: drive and reinstall the OS from my Vista DVD. After that there was no file on E: drive.

Now I have upgraded it Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I restore my computer to its original state when I bought It? If yes, How? If no, then What should I do to make it as original. If I use PC restore option, will it delete all the data on my computer including other partitions like D: which I extended later from C:?? Please tell me the solution.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2009 15:00

If you've already reloaded, you can no longer use the quick restore - you must load WIndows manually from the DVD.

December 1st, 2009 07:00

Thank you. 

But why it is showing a hidden partition on my laptop. This hidden partition doesn't have any name. Is there no use of this partition?

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 18:00

I am having the same issues.  I've found out, through trial and error, that there appears to be a conflict with the battery when it is plugged in and recharging. When I'm plugged in, it seems to operate ok, but if the battery is 100% and the recharger is still plugged in, it will freeze up and I will have to manually shut it down.

Anyone else get a fix?  What I've done is just a work-around.

Cheers,

June 4th, 2012 12:00

i have inspiron e1505/6000 i was locked out of the computer. i did exactly what was said as above from the user manual there was administrator,guest,etc, asking me for the password exactly what i don't have..... any help

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 4th, 2012 13:00

Have you tried just entering a blank password?

No Events found!