Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2012 11:00

Factory reset Inspiron mini 1012

How to you do factory reset on a Inspiron mini 1012, windows 7, so it is when it comes out of the box.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 14th, 2012 07:00

Turn on or restart your Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook.

Press the "F8" key repeatedly when the "Dell" logo appears on the screen to be redirected to the

"Advanced Boot Options" menu.

Highlight "Repair Your Computer" and press "Enter."

Highlight the language layout you want to use for your keyboard and click "Next."

Enter your username and password if prompted. Click "OK."

Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" and click "Next."

The recovery software on some Dell Mini systems may require you to click

"Dell Factory Tools" followed by "Dell Factory Image Restore" and "Next."

THIS ERASES THE DRIVE ALL USER DATA IS LOST.

Click "Next" if you understand the netbook will be restored to its original factory settings.

The recovery process will begin.

Click "Finish" when a message appears saying the recovery is complete. The netbook will restart and boot up to the Windows Vista or Windows 7 set-up screen, where you can begin personalizing your netbook.

Windows XP Recovery

Turn on the computer. Press "Ctrl-F11" at the same time while the computer is booting up to access the recovery software.

Click "Restore."

Click "Confirm" to begin the recovery process, which shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.

Click "Finish" to restart the computer and finalize the installation.

Click "Yes" to restart the netbook again. The computer will boot up to the Windows XP setup screen.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Recovery

Plug an external optical drive into an available USB port on your Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook.

Insert the Ubuntu LTS disc that came with your netbook and restart your netbook.

Press the "F12" key repeatedly when the Dell logo appears to be redirected to the "Boot Options" menu.

Highlight the name of your optical drive and press "Enter." Press "Enter"

again to boot the netbook from the optical drive.

Select the language your operating system should function in and press "Enter."

Select the language for your keyboard configuration and press "Enter."

Select your time zone and then press "Enter."

Select the option to automatically partition your hard drive and click "Enter."

When the process is complete, select "Standard System"

to install the standard programs that come with the operating system.

Type a password for the default administrator account when you are prompted, and click "OK."

Type in a username and password for your user account and click "OK."

Remove the Ubuntu LTS disc. Press "Enter" to restart the netbook and begin

personalizing your operating system.

677 Posts

September 14th, 2012 08:00

Hi jtbess,

There could be an issue with the hard drive, because of which you get the hard drive not found message. I request you to shut down the system first and restart it. While restarting, keep tapping F2 key multiple times (twice every second) at the Dell splash screen. This will take you to the BIOS screen. Please locate the Internal HDD on the screen and check if the hard drive name is displayed next to it. 

You can also run the hardware diagnostics by holding the “Fn” key and turn the system on. This test will check all the hardware components in your system. Please make a note of any error codes you may come across during the test.

I hope this helps

Please reply in case of any queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2012 12:00

F8 before WIndows loads.

1 Message

September 10th, 2012 07:00

What if when you hit F8 it says cant find HHD

1 Message

April 23rd, 2013 22:00

After I get where it ask for user name and password and I don't know them what do I do?

April 24th, 2013 01:00

Hi harrismelissa,

For accessing recovery options, you need to login as administrator. You may click on the username to select the administrator account and type the password. If you have not setup any password, you may leave the password field blank. However, if you have forgotten the password, the only way to re-install the operating system is with the help of Operating system re-installation DVD's. For OS media dvd's, please check the box in which you received the system or let me know if you created the factory recovery media when you first received the system.

Note : Factory recovery or re-installing operating system will lead to complete data loss. Please backup important data before proceeding further.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

June 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi I did all the things you said at first but it still starts the same I forgot my password and have saved all my data to flash drives I just want to reset it all

1 Message

June 23rd, 2014 10:00

May I just explain how far I got: after hitting F8 several times when the dell icon appears in the boot-up process I got to a screen where there are many choices such as start windows normally etc.. (the advanced boot menu screen) here the instructions say to choose repair computer but what happens when I choose that every time is that the computer just goes back to booting up ! Here are the instructions I have been following:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19448747.aspx

4 Posts

July 24th, 2014 19:00

I am trying to reset my  mini back to factory settings.  When I press F8 and:

1. Choose Repair your computers
  2. Highlight the language layout you want
  3. Enter my user name
  4. I do not get the option to "Dell Factory Image Restore".

I also saw where someone suggest pressing CTL F11 at boot time did not work either.  

Any other suggestions?

1 Message

September 9th, 2014 14:00

I do as you suggest but I do not have the "Dell Factory Image Restore" . Please advise how else I can fix this darn thing. 

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

ckr1995

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 9th, 2014 15:00

The mini-12 did not ship with a recovery partition - it did ship with an OS disc, which you'll need along with an external CD/DVD drive.

1 Message

November 14th, 2014 07:00

Hi! I get as far as entering user name and password, it then takes me to "system recovery options" there is no option to factory reset.. It's start up repair, system restore, system image recovery, windows memory diagnostic, and command prompt.. Help?

1 Message

March 31st, 2015 20:00

I am trying to do factory reset on a 1012 that has password set and do not know the passwords which have been set. One says dell user

1 Message

April 11th, 2015 21:00

What If You Forgot The Password

No Events found!