Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 18:00

Factory restore question

Inspiron 17R 5720 running Win8.

Cannot access the Advanced Boot Menu. I want to return the laptop to the factory configuration and tapping 8F during post has no effect. Laptop boots into windows. This procedure is defined in the Reference Guide I downloaded from the Dell site listed under the Service tag number for the computer.  It is labeled, however, as being for an Inspiron 13Z 5323. Don't know if that means anything.

Any help appreciated... Ray

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 21:00

Hi raybro,

There are two ways to restore Windows 8 to factory settings. They are “Refresh” and “Reset”.

Refresh: The Refresh option is primarily a repair method. It is a great method of returning your PC to a known good state while preserving your files and a great deal of your configuration. With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, data files, and some settings are preserved on your PC without the need to create a backup, or to make choices about what to keep or remove.

Reset: This is similar to a PC restore. This option, also called Reset your PC is useful when a PC is changing hands, or when you want to get a completely fresh start on a PC, with no previous files or configuration retained.

To Refresh Windows 8 please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Open the General section of PC Settings by the key combination WIN KEY + C to open charms bar and click PC Settings.

2. Click the Get started button under Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

3. Click the Next button at the Refresh your PC step of the wizard.

4. You may be prompted to insert installation or recovery media if there is not a recovery image preconfigured on your PC.

5. Click the Refresh button at the Ready to refresh your PC step.

6. At this point, the PC is restarted, and the refresh actions are completed.

To Reset the Windows 8 to factory settings please follow the below mentioned steps:

(Note: Reset option will delete the data from the computer)

1. Open the General section of PC settings by the key combination WIN Key + C to open Charms bar and click PC settings.

2. Click the Get started button under Remove Everything and reinstall windows and start over.

3. Click the Next button at the Reset your PC and start over step of the wizard.

4. As in the Reset steps, you may be prompted to insert Windows 8 installation or recovery media if there is not a recovery image preconfigured on your PC.

5. If you have multiple drives on your PC, the next step gives you a choice of how you want files removed. You can remove files from the Windows drive only, or from all drives.

6. Next you will be asked if you want to fully clean your drive. You can choose to just remove my files or a more complete removal with the Fully clean the drive option. Neither option provides a guarantee that the data will be unrecoverable, but the fully clean option will make it significantly more difficult.

7. To proceed, click the Reset button at the Ready to reset your PC step, shown below.

8. At this point the PC is restarted into a full-screen progress screen.

9. The next step on a PC where the Pro Pack or Media Pack was installed is shown below. In these scenarios you will need to enter your Product Key. Notice that there is a Skip button here. This would enable you to complete the Reset without entering your key. That can be useful if you are selling a PC and want to retain a retail Windows 8 license that you installed on it.

10. The final step is the License Terms. Click Accept in this step to complete the reset.

Please post the results.

1 Message

August 1st, 2015 01:00

How do I know my windows 8 product key?

38 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 21:00

That is just what I was looking for... Thanks

June 22nd, 2013 14:00

Hi Nikhil, 

So - your post assumes that the user is able to get to Windows booting properly, that the operating system is fairly intact - thereby enabling user to be able to arrive at the settings screen. 

what happens, though, if the windows files are corrupted - virus attack etc. and the user is unable to arrive at the settings screen. 

In other words, is there a way that the Factory Image can still be restored from - in the absence of the F8 not working. 

Thanks, 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 24th, 2013 10:00

Hi Polite_Maverick,

If you have created a restore disc when you first bought the system, the restore disc can be used; else reinstalling the operating system and downloading the drivers accordingly is the only option.

In the process of reinstalling operating system you will lose all the data in the computer.

1 Message

November 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi guys,

I  did followed the instructions to reset my Windows 8 machine, and i got the following message:

"There was a problem resetting your PC

check for solutions"

after selecting the "check for solutions" option, it takes me back to the start page.

I don't know what to do and I need to get this done ASAP

Can someone timely rescue me?

4 Posts

January 4th, 2014 19:00

Hello Experts,

I am also facing the same problem as JuniorMag, could someone point to the correct solution please?

1 Message

September 25th, 2014 18:00

I just got this as well.  First apps started crashing unexpectedly.  I checked for recent updates and it started to download them and hung.  I canceled and tried to update again and the machine completely froze.  had to do a hard shut down (hold power button off for 10 seconds).  After boot retried to download updates. No joy.  Tried to refresh.,  got error message "There was a problem refreshing your PC. No changes were made."  clicked the link and went back to start screen but custom screen was removed (picture of my daughter).  Went back and tried Remove Everything and re-install Windows and got ""There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Is this because I updated to Windows 8.1 update 1?

No Events found!