Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 25th, 2016 15:00

Fading sound on system speakers but sound is fine on headphones

I have a problem with audio on system speakers Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1. I have exhausted all my ideas.

The audio is fine through plugged in headset but through system speakers it starts loud and fades away to very faint audio coming from two speakers.Could this be some type of Auto volume control? This problem exists with ITunes with local media, DIRECTV, Slacker, YouTube.

This has existed through several W10 upgrades. I am on the latest W10. No updates available. I have used Dell Auto Update and verified through the website no other drivers are missing or outdated 

With the deal Audio I restored to default, disabled equalizer, audio and microphone enhancement. No luck

I have removed audio devices from device manager rebooted to same results. Any other ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 26th, 2016 07:00

djjmj wrote: " I have used Dell Auto Update "

:emotion-2:

Dell Auto Update you're referring to is Dell Support Assist? If no, I suggest you diagnose Audio with Dell Support Assist. Most Dell systems have Support Assist pre-installed. You can check by typing Support Assist onto [Cortana] search box or right click windows logo and then click on 'Programs & Features'. If Support Assist isn't installed on system then I suggest you click on the link below and stroll down to 'Download Now'.

www.dell.com/.../supportassist-pcs-tablets

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you install Support Assist, click on 'Checkup', expand 'Advanced Troubleshooting', and then 'Scan a Specific Device', see images below.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2016 09:00

In using the advanced diagnostics within Support Assist I found this error in Event Viewer Device INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0225&SUBSYS_1028073B&REV_1000\4&1647e7a9&0&0001 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0225&SUBSYS_1028073B&REV_1000\4&1647E7A9&0&0001

Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122

Present: false

I searched this info post in event viewer Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hdxsstp3.inf_amd64_84b638c519370465\hdxsstp3.inf and it led me to this -

support.microsoft.com/.../fix-sound-problems

All I can figure is the first time I tried this, I somehow made a mistake and deleted the wrong device. As following these instructions has resolved my issue. Removing both realtek audio devices under device manager Audio and rebooting. Go figure. Thanks everyone, I hope this helps someone else. - D

4 Posts

December 27th, 2016 09:00

In searching "Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1" this seems to be a very common problem with no firm resolution from Dell. I have reviewed the Audio FAQ and attempted most of suggestions without success. The one I was not able to figure out is the RealAudio program to download for this laptop. Can anyone point me to the correct program name?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 27th, 2016 10:00

28 Posts

January 20th, 2017 14:00

Has anyone ever found a solution?

28 Posts

February 1st, 2017 09:00

This driver works!

www.techspot.com/.../

4 Posts

May 29th, 2017 08:00

tried the recommended driver above, same issue exists. Only what I can hear audio is with a Bluetooth device such as speaker or head set and a wired headphones. On system speakers, for example when you play a youtube video it starts find but with in seconds its fades to nothing.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 29th, 2017 10:00

tried the recommended driver above, same issue exists. Only what I can hear audio is with a Bluetooth device such as speaker or head set and a wired headphones. On system speakers, for example when you play a youtube video it starts find but with in seconds its fades to nothing.

When this happens, are you watching all the volume controls?  One might be driving lower volume thus causing the volume to drop.

Since Bluetooth does not use the Waves Audio it would seem something involved with that was causing the problem.  It happened on one of my systems once.  I checked the volume mixer from the speaker icon and the speaker/headphones volume lever meter was showing almost no level.  The sound producing utility was showing a normal level.  

Make sure and check the default Waves setting for your speakers and possibly even save a new one when you have it set where you want it.  You have not, in the past, attempted to inhibit the Waves popup?

If you concentrate on YouTube, does stopping the stream and restarting, does the volume come back for a while?

Since this thread is older, there have been several driver updates.  Possibly something stuck in your system is causing the problem.  There is the FAQ in the audio section of the forum and one thing it suggests is to take the system back to the basic Windows audio drivers.  Once there you can reload the current Dell Realtek drivers.  It would be best to do this while offline so have the driver already downloaded.  When you uninstall the sound and check the box to remove all drivers and when you have deleted all previous versions of a driver, it should end up with the Microsoft driver.  Then install your downloaded driver.

If the volume continues to decrease after you install the driver correctly then possibly there is some software on your system causing the volume to change or a component is causing it.  If it was happening on my system, I would download and use Process Monitor to what to see if I could find anything changing the volume.

No Events found!