Highlighted
jnstriebel
Copper

Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron i14RN-1593BK Notebook PC and in my last Dell Scan I failed the Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test.  I guess I don't know what this means or what the necessary follow up should be.

Thank you for the information.

--John

0 Kudos
23 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Run a Dell diagnostic (F12 at powerup).  Record any errors that result, and report them to Dell. They'll replace the faulty hard drive under warranty.

0 Kudos

Hi John,

Welcome to Dell community forums.

To determine what may be the cause the very first thing I can suggest you to run DELL Diagnostics as ejn63 already mentioned that in the previous reply.

Run the Hardware Diagnostics Test (PSA)
-- Restart your computer and hit F12 on the Dell Logo Screen a couple of times.
-- It Boots to the One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select the Option Diagnostics and hit Enter.
-- Check for the error.

If you get any error reply me back to this post. “Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self-Test” means Hard Drive Failure.

For further assistance please reply

Thanks & Regards
Dell_Debbie_B

Dell Social Media Responder
http://www.facebook.com/Dell
http://twitter.com/#%21/dell
http://www.youtube.com/user/dellvlog?blend=1&ob=4

Thanks & Regards
Debbie B
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Fuschia18
Copper

Hello, Debbie,

John has not replied to your post, but I recently experienced the same problem that he did.

I have a 2 year-old Inspiron, and it is still covered under warranty.

PC Checkup ran the usual hardware scan yesterday, and the SMART Short Self Test came up as a fail.

I ran the hardware scan again, and this time failed both the Targeted Read Test and the SMART Short Self Test.  The hardware scan ran slow, taking about twice as long as it should.

I restarted my computer, and ran the PC Checkup tests just for the hard drive.  The Targeted Read Test failed (running slow again), and then the rest of the tests were aborted.

I ran the Microsoft CHKDSK program to try to resolve any errors on the hard drive.  After that, I ran the PC Checkup hardware scan again.  The Targeted Read Test failed again, but the SMART Short Self Test came up as a pass. 

I did some hard drive cleanup to get rid of any extra files that could be deleted, and then checked disk defragmentation.  My disk defragmenter runs on a regular schedule, and so the hard drive showed no fragmentation(?) of files.  

I ran the PC Checkup hardware tests again.  The Targeted Read Test was taking forever, and then my computer locked up completely on the Targeted Read Test.

I then ran the Hardware Diagnostics Test that you recommended to John above.  I received:

Error Code 0146

Msg. Error Code 2000-0146

Msg. Hard Drive 0 - self test log codes previous errors

Does my hard drive need to be replaced, or is the problem something else?  Please advise as to what to do next.  

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Yes, the drive needs to be replaced - Dell will cover it under warranty.

0 Kudos
inligben
Copper

i read the previous posts and i followed the same but the issue stil persists... is there any other way to solve this problem other than replacing the hard drive cuz my warranty has expired...

0 Kudos
inligben
Copper

i have an inspiron 1545.. please help.....

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

No -  you need to replace the hard drive.  It's the only way to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
inligben
Copper

ok thanks.

0 Kudos
Hamletto
Copper

Having same problem...ran F12 test and got: Error 20000142 - validation 6671 - self test unsuccessful - status =7.

Disk check error previously  show 'targeted read test failed WHD20-296 / smart short self test failed WHD16-J7J.  Seems from what u stated my hard drive needs to be replaced.  Still under warranty, only 6 mos old.  Please instruct HOW DO I DO THAT?  Set up this warranty fix? I'm lost on the support website....  THANKS

0 Kudos