Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2012 13:00

Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron i14RN-1593BK Notebook PC and in my last Dell Scan I failed the Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test.  I guess I don't know what this means or what the necessary follow up should be.

Thank you for the information.

--John

113 Posts

Hi John,

Welcome to Dell community forums.

To determine what may be the cause the very first thing I can suggest you to run DELL Diagnostics as ejn63 already mentioned that in the previous reply.

Run the Hardware Diagnostics Test (PSA)
-- Restart your computer and hit F12 on the Dell Logo Screen a couple of times.
-- It Boots to the One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select the Option Diagnostics and hit Enter.
-- Check for the error.

If you get any error reply me back to this post. “Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self-Test” means Hard Drive Failure.

For further assistance please reply

Thanks & Regards
Dell_Debbie_B

Dell Social Media Responder
http://www.facebook.com/Dell
http://twitter.com/#%21/dell
http://www.youtube.com/user/dellvlog?blend=1&ob=4

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Run a Dell diagnostic (F12 at powerup).  Record any errors that result, and report them to Dell. They'll replace the faulty hard drive under warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 14th, 2012 19:00

Yes, the drive needs to be replaced - Dell will cover it under warranty.

1 Message

August 14th, 2012 19:00

Hello, Debbie,

John has not replied to your post, but I recently experienced the same problem that he did.

I have a 2 year-old Inspiron, and it is still covered under warranty.

PC Checkup ran the usual hardware scan yesterday, and the SMART Short Self Test came up as a fail.

I ran the hardware scan again, and this time failed both the Targeted Read Test and the SMART Short Self Test.  The hardware scan ran slow, taking about twice as long as it should.

I restarted my computer, and ran the PC Checkup tests just for the hard drive.  The Targeted Read Test failed (running slow again), and then the rest of the tests were aborted.

I ran the Microsoft CHKDSK program to try to resolve any errors on the hard drive.  After that, I ran the PC Checkup hardware scan again.  The Targeted Read Test failed again, but the SMART Short Self Test came up as a pass. 

I did some hard drive cleanup to get rid of any extra files that could be deleted, and then checked disk defragmentation.  My disk defragmenter runs on a regular schedule, and so the hard drive showed no fragmentation(?) of files.  

I ran the PC Checkup hardware tests again.  The Targeted Read Test was taking forever, and then my computer locked up completely on the Targeted Read Test.

I then ran the Hardware Diagnostics Test that you recommended to John above.  I received:

Error Code 0146

Msg. Error Code 2000-0146

Msg. Hard Drive 0 - self test log codes previous errors

Does my hard drive need to be replaced, or is the problem something else?  Please advise as to what to do next.  

Thanks in advance.

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 02:00

i have an inspiron 1545.. please help.....

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 02:00

i read the previous posts and i followed the same but the issue stil persists... is there any other way to solve this problem other than replacing the hard drive cuz my warranty has expired...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2012 06:00

No -  you need to replace the hard drive.  It's the only way to fix the problem.

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 11:00

ok thanks.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2012 01:00

Having same problem...ran F12 test and got: Error 20000142 - validation 6671 - self test unsuccessful - status =7.

Disk check error previously  show 'targeted read test failed WHD20-296 / smart short self test failed WHD16-J7J.  Seems from what u stated my hard drive needs to be replaced.  Still under warranty, only 6 mos old.  Please instruct HOW DO I DO THAT?  Set up this warranty fix? I'm lost on the support website....  THANKS

1.8K Posts

December 1st, 2012 01:00

Hi Hamletto,

It appears to be an issue with hard drive of your computer and might need replacement. In order to assist you in a better way, I would need the Service tag of your computer.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information. 

1 Message

March 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hello Debbie,

I do have similar problem. The diagnostics done by dell support centre in my laptop showed two failure reports:

1. SMART short read test.  Error Code: WHD16-QXG
  2. Targeted read test. Error Code: WHD20-V3 

I did the Hardware Diagnostics Test and it showed FAILED for Hard drive DST short test. The error code is 2000-0146

I would really appreciate your help,

Thanks and Regards,

Prasun

1.8K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hi Prasun,

Error code 0146 indicates the test has detected logs of previous errors on hard drive and this might be a possible hard drive failure. For more decisive results, I recommend you to run a 'Custom Test' on the laptop's 'Hard Drive'. 'Custom Test' is an advanced diagnostic test and is capable of producing more reliable results. Follow the steps listed below to launch the hard drive custom test:

• Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
  • Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap key
  • Select option 'Diagnostics'

Here are some screen shots demonstrating the progress of the PSA+ Diagnostics: 

Tap if color bars appear (Refer to the image above)

If 2000:0146 error appears, please ignore the message and go ahead with the testing

Tap to launch 32 bit Diagnostics (Following screen appears):

From the factory the system's 'hard drive' will include a hidden partition with 32 bit Dell Diagnostics. After the completion of basic diagnostic process, you will be asked to continue to this Diagnostics program. If for some reason the hidden partition is not found on the hard drive, you will be presented with the option to insert the Resource DVD. Following screen appears in that case:

If required, use the Resource CD and follow the steps given below:

• Insert Recovery CD
  • Shut down and restart the desktop
  • When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly

Note: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then shut down your computer and try again.

• When the boot device list appears, highlight the option CD/DVD/CD-RW and press
  • Boot from CD-ROM from the menu that appears and press
  • This message appears ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’
  • Promptly hit
  • Note: If you wait too long and Dell Diagnostic screen does not appear, then, shut down your computer and repeat all steps.

(Following screen appears): 

• Press  
  • When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run
  • Select Custom Test (Refer to image below)

• Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive' (Refer to image below)
  • Highlight 'SATA Disk'
  • Place a tick mark in 'Non-Interactive Tests Only'
  • Click 'Run Test'

• For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
  • Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears

If the tests passes and you want to use the same hard drive, you can format the hard drive and can perform an Operating system re-installation. Before you proceed, I will advise you to take a complete backup your data (pictures, music, applications, videos, documents) if possible. As this step leads to complete data loss. Remove all the external peripherals (like printers, scanners, any USB device except keyboard and mouse) connected to your computer. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/Qe7jyP 

Please reply for further clarifications.  

3 Posts

May 5th, 2013 12:00

I get an Err213528 Code 20000142 Hard drive 0 an 5 verlqdw short

3 Posts

May 5th, 2013 12:00

I am experiencing the exact same problem.  My laptop isn't even a year old.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 5th, 2013 18:00

Report that error to Dell support - they'll send a warranty replacement drive (or arrange to replace the drive if it's a system that has a drive that's not consumer-replaceable).

No Events found!