Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2012 12:00

Fingerprint driver for Windows 8 on Latitude E6520?

Hi,

Simple question. How to make fingerprint reader work with Windows 8 on a Latitude e6520??

E6520 is listed as compatible. It also have some drivers available Under the download driver page, but can't find anything about FingerPrint driver.

thanks for any help

Jonathan

1.8K Posts

November 7th, 2012 19:00

Hi Jonathan, 

You can download and install the Control vault driver for your computer from the link: http://dell.to/PFj0Rp 

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer. 

If this does not work, you can try installing the same driver in compatibility mode, that may work.

• Download the drivers for your computer from link above.
  • Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties -- > Compatibility Tab.
  • Select Windows 7 from the list in the following image.

• Click Apply -- > OK.
  • Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.
  • Follow the prompts on screen.

Please reply with findings.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I've been able to do so. I see the device in Device manager.

the problem I have now is that when I go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Biometric Devices\Message it doesn't see my Fingerprint reader.

the computer is running Windows 8 Enterprise x64 ( I managed to find the same driver in 64bits). It is also part of a domain. No GPO are applied on the computer.

So it is still the default installation from the dvd of Win8

any clue?

Is there any dell application to install to make it work? or it should work with default Windows 8

thanks

5 Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

Ok I've been able to activate the biometric device using control Vault WBF.

Now when trying to add fingerprints to my user account, it doesn't want to save it.

I'm able to scan 4 prints as request, but then get back at the screen to select which finger to scan.

Hit next, and says that there are no fingerprint in database.

So it seems to be half-working.

thanks for any help!

November 9th, 2012 12:00

I have the same problem but on a Latitude E6430 (Windows 8 x64). The fingerprints are displayed during the enrollmet, but at the last step the prints are gone and don't show up and don't function

1.8K Posts

November 10th, 2012 01:00

Hi jlefebvre/alexander.r,

If the finger print reader is working and is giving you prompts to slide finger loading on, you may need to enroll the fingerprints again. You can try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Confirm that the fingerprint reader memory is not full. The fingerprint device is capable of storing 21 different fingerprints.   
    • Double-click the ‘Embassy Security Center’ icon on the desktop.
    • Click the ‘Windows Login tab on the left side of the window.
    • Click the Enroll/Update Fingerprint button.
    • Click ‘Select‘, type the name of a user, and then click ‘Check Names‘.
    • Click ‘Ok‘, and then click ‘Next‘.
    • Uncheck ‘Run interactive tutorial‘, and then click ‘Skip Tutorial‘. The number of remaining fingerprint memory slots is displayed in the lower left corner. If the fingerprint reader memory is full, un-enroll fingerprints using the Enrollment Wizard. If fingerprints cannot be un-enrolled, clear all enrolled fingerprints from the fingerprint reader:   

a)      Download http://www.wave.com/support/downloads/deleteusers.zip and unzip the file.

b)      Drag the ‘DeleteUsers.exe‘ file into the ‘\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Dell Preboot Manager‘ folder.

c)       Double-click the file to run it. This will delete all enrolled fingerprints to the UPEK reader.

1. Make sure the correct user name is entered for the person trying to log in using biometric authentication.
  2. Ensure that the finger being used is not injured.
  3. For the most accurate scan, follow the recommendations below when swiping the finger:   
    • Lay the entire finger flat on the center of the sensor.
    • Ensure that the finger is being swiped in the same direction in which it was enrolled.
    • Swipe at a slow to moderate speed and at a right angle to the sensor. 
    • Make sure the figure does not swing at the end of the movement.

Another step you can try is to run configuration security wizard again from Control point and see if it works. Screenshot of that is shown below:

Please reply with the findings.

8 Posts

November 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi Chinmay,

I have the same problem here on my new E6430.

I’m not using Wave Security System on E6430, due a lot of problems that I had in past, in another Dell Computer. Wave Systems does not work very well, I've got a lot of freezing and misfunction on it.

Actually I'm using the WBF with Broadcom Drivers. I tested with Windows 7 and it worked very well. I tried on Windows 8, and it worked almost very well. :-)

I could install the app and it opens and captures fingerprint, but it does not save the fingerprint captured. It seems to be a little problem on application or driver.

The driver\app is here:

www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6430

And it says that is compatible with Windows 8.

It is obvious that this application needs a update, how can we get that?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

E.F.

November 13th, 2012 08:00

I have the exact same problem like Edufarah:. I'm also not using the Waves Securty System because windows 8 blocked the setup (not compatible, known problems...). The software recognizes my fingerprints but it does not save them.

Best Regards,

Alex

2 Posts

November 14th, 2012 06:00

Me, too ... I have that problem with a dell E6520 ... it would be great to get a solution :emotion-2:

1.8K Posts

November 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi Edufarah/Alex/Rarens.

I am looking into this issue. Please provide me 3 - 4 business days. I'll keep you posted with the details.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2012 16:00

Hi Chinmay,

It's great hear that!

If you need some more information, let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Eduardo.

17 Posts

November 21st, 2012 09:00

Same problem with E6410 - would be good to know when there is a solution

1.8K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 02:00

Hi Edufarah/Alex/Rarens/JamiePUK,

I am still looking into this. Please provide me another 3 - 4 business days. I would request you please private message me the Service tag and current location of the computer. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

I'll keep you posted with details. 

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 05:00

Chinmay, please keep me in the loop as well.

it is still not fixed. Please send me a private message so I give you my Service Tag and location....

thanks

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 00:00

Chinmay, please keep also me in the loop.

1.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 18:00

Hi  jlefebvre/b1nf0rce,

I'll keep you posted with the details as well.

No Events found!