Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2010 04:00

Fixed 3 times - 1557 ovearheating

I have had my Dell 1557 fixed 3 times now excluding over the phone fixes which have been numerous.

The first time I sent off for repair my mother board got replaced.

Then a engineer came out and replaced the motherboard and the heat sync.

Then I sent it off again and the heatsync got replaced along with an operating system reinstall. They installed the wrong version of Windows 7, Premium installed of Professional which is a bit shabby. 

Now I'm just waiting for my laptop to overheat again - currently at 80C :D

I am never going to buy a Dell laptop ever again they have really gone down hill.

August 3rd, 2010 06:00

I have to reinstall the operating system again this is the second time I have had to do it myself. I phoned them up and they said do I have the reinstallation disk. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS. Otherwise I can send it off to get it reinstalled which will take another 1 week or so.

5.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 08:00

There are several reasons that a laptop overheats, other than running demanding apps, and a "bad" system board is usually not one of them, as you have found out.

Dust bunnies inside.

Improper application of heat transfer paste between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink.

Improper attachment of the heat pipe.

Defective heat pipe.

Which processor is overheating, CPU, GPU or both?

When the system board is replaced, only the GPU is replaced, as it's usually soldered to the system board. Most likely reason is poor or no application of the heat transfer paste. When super users are building super machines, they sometimes actually grind the CPU/heat sink surfaces together with polishing medium to get perfect surface contact. If the heat sink is not securely attached, warpage can occur when the system heats, resulting in even poorer contact.

I would have a tube of paste available when a service tech shows up, and check everything he does.

November 16th, 2010 22:00

I have to reinstall the operating system again this is the second time I have had to do it myself. I phoned them up and they said do I have the reinstallation disk. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS. Otherwise I can send it off to get it reinstalled which will take another 1 week or so.

It's very detailed, I understand this part, Thanks for your explanation!

1 Message

June 11th, 2011 05:00

thomas0115, I totally agreed with your opinion. We never going to buy a Dell laptop ever again they have really gone down hill.

I've been suffered from overheating issue for more than 1 years.  When I got my 1557 laptop, I re-installed the OS from Windows 7 Premium to Ubuntu; then my laptop overheated everyday. I thought It was a issue of Linux system. After I done some researchs, yes, Linux had this kind of issue on some laptops and there were no any solutions now.

Last week, I format my hard drive and install Windows 7 Premium. I still encountered overheating issue. The new system was very clean, no malewares, no viruses, not heavy programs. I also bought a cooling pad to dissipate  the heat. Unfortunately,  it did not help anyway.

Maybe, I will try to contact Dell for help in the near future. However, I don't expect this issue will be resolved.

No Events found!