Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

1 Message

February 28th, 2004 17:00

Fn Key

My FN Key doesnt work any more....When I Format it work for 2 days max. What can I do?

3.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2004 19:00

likuid,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The Fn key functions as part of the BIOS.  I recommend updating this on your computer. 

The following are additional suggestions you should take to correct the problem:

• If the system is connected to an port replicator or docking station, undock the system. Does the keyboard work when it is undocked?

• Press the reset button and reboot. This would be a hole that looks like the hole on the floppy drive. Use a straightened paperclip to press the button.

• You should also check for any debris in the contact.

• If the keycap has come off of the keyboard or is stuck down, try reseating it. There are typically two rocker arms and a rubber spring which need to be fitted back onto the keyboard. Instructions are on the Keyboard FAQ, #5.

• Boot to DOS using a DOS diskette. Test the keys in a program such as EDIT.

• Reset or update the system BIOS.

• Remove the keyboard entry from the Device Manager and reset the computer. When it restarts, it will reinstall the keyboard driver.

• Run the Dell diagnostic test on the keyboard.

Place the System Software CD in your computer. Reset the machine and when the Dell logo appears on the screen, press and release [F2] several times until you are in the BIOS. Press the right arrow key to go to the BOOT menu or hold [Alt] and [P] simultaneously to progress to the second page. Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive, Floppy drive, Internal HDD. Now press [Esc] or [F10] to save and exit the BIOS.

The following knowledge base article can help you with this:

How to run the Dell diagnostic test knowledge base article.

The program should automatically load. Choose to run the test on the keyboard.

If none of these help, you may consider contacting Dell Support for a solution.

No Events found!