Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2011 20:00

Getting the XPS L501X to work with the AverMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC TV tuner

I have an XPS 15 (L501X) laptop with the  NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M 2GB graphics with TV Tuner.  It includes the AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC with Driver version 2.2.64.64.  The driver appears to be up-to-date. The system has 8GB of RAM and an i7-740QM processor.  I've connected the over-the-air digital antenna, that comes with the latop, to the system.  I followed the setup guide instructions and Windows Media Center instructions to configure the system to be able to receive over the air live digital TV signals.   I cannot receive any TV signal, for any channel.  Media Center is configured for the TV Signal Configuration "Digital Antenna (ATSC): Digital Terrestrial Lineup (1 tuner)".  I live in proximity to New York City so I would not expect signal strength to be an issues.  I'd expect to receive some signal.  I've tried reconfiguring several times, but get thhe same results.  Can anyone help with any suggestions on how I can get this to work?  thanks, Rich

2 Posts

January 11th, 2011 07:00

I have more or less the same problem. 

Same laptop (L501X) . Driver WAS the same (version 2.2.64.64). It didn't work.  I found on UK Dell supportsite a driver 2.2.64.69.  It still doesn't work. Windows Media Center says that the DVBT-card is not ready or accessible. 

Are there other programs I can use to watch TV ?

Thanx in advance for anyone to help me...

Dirk

January 26th, 2011 05:00

I have the same laptop and problems with the Avermedia TV tuner for german DVB-T. It doesn't find any TV channel. Are there any solutions for this problem? Thank you.

Andreas (Germany)

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2011 07:00

For those of you who "don't expect TV reception to be a problem", try connecting up an antenna to your regular TV.

If you are not able to pick up any channels on your TV, then why would you expect this tuner to pick up signals that your TV tuner can't????

January 27th, 2011 10:00

No problems with DVB-T channels and the regular TV, only the TV Tuner Card can't find the digital channels. I think it's a hardware problem of the avermedia card!?

January 27th, 2011 10:00

Hello Rich, I have the same problem with the german DVB-T channels. Did you find any solutions in the last time? Thanks, Andy :-)

January 29th, 2011 04:00

I heard that the avermedia products have problems with vista and windows 7 with 4GB memory and more!? Why DELL installs these products in XPS laptops?

January 29th, 2011 04:00

I have also a XPS 15 with the Avermedia DVB/tuner and in windows media center it don´t work. Driver reinstalled but did give any solution

:-(

20 Posts

January 31st, 2011 18:00

I have a new XPS L701X AverMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC/QAM card.

And I am not able to get the TV tuner to display any channels... when I run the Signal strength tool I only get 1 or 2 bars for about 20 digital channels.  Not enough to get a picture!

I have also tried to connect to my local cable (Time Warner (Ventura, Ca.))... I am able to get through the setup process al the way though to the final test of which channel to tune to.  It picks channel 3 and the small preview window opens ane I am able to change channels for the test.  When I click on Finalize I get a message saying that there is no IR conenction.

I checked the Set Top box and there IS an IR port on the back.  A call to Time Warner TS and they tell me that the IR port is NOT supported by them.

I feel like I got the royal screw in purchasing the tuner....

I have spend a half day with Dell's TS and he has given up too...

If anyone has a solution then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks
Phill

1 Message

March 24th, 2011 13:00

I have a new XPS L502X AverMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/DVBT card with 2.2.64.64 driver version

I have the same problem, I am not be able to tune any channels with the portatil antenna, the card does not work propperly

Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks in advance from spain.
Jesús

2 Posts

October 14th, 2011 11:00

I have the same problem.  Dell is no help.  I have spent around 6 hours with tech service....and they blame Windows Media Center.  I have tried connecting Off Air, cable providers and Directv connections nothing works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 14th, 2011 12:00

You all may be familiar with this forum thread from Microsoft Answers.  If not, it may be of some use for you.

answers.microsoft.com/.../e32f860a-5dc0-41ce-827f-0d926e469797

Specifically look at the info from Ajay K

Hi   Phill,

I believe you are getting the following error message, let me know if it something else

“Windows Media Center cannot detect IR control cables, which are required to control the set top box. Attach IR hardware that supports IR control cables and then try again. IR HARDWARE NOT DETECTED."

Method 1:Run the set up TV tuner troubleshooter - It makes sure that your computer is receiving a TV signal, and that your TV tuner is connected and configured properly.

Open the Set up TV tuner troubleshooter

windows.microsoft.com/.../Open-the-Set-up-TV-tuner-troubleshooter

You may want to refer the link below for more information:

Set up a TV signal inWindows Media Center

windows.microsoft.com/.../Set-up-a-TV-signal-in-Windows-Media-Center

You may want to know

What should I know before adding TV tuners to use withWindows Media Center?

windows.microsoft.com/.../What-should-I-know-before-adding-TV-tuners-to-use-with-Windows-Media-Center

Thanks and Regards

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

2 Posts

October 21st, 2011 15:00

Issue resloved.....Dell shipped my laptop with the TV tuner card connected wrong.  I have the WLAN card and TV tuner.  The Factory shipped my laptop with the TV tuner card connected like the Wide Area network card.  All I had to do was disconnect the White/Gray and the Black/Grey wires connected to the card and connect the black ant wire.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 21st, 2011 16:00

I am happy to read that at least the issue has been resolved.  I thank you for giving us an update.

TB

5 Posts

November 6th, 2011 19:00

Hello,

I have the same problem here but no solution yet : XPS L501X/L502X with the "AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/ATSC/QAM" tuner card (as reported in the configuration panel) but Windows Media Center only sees the analog tuner, not the digital one.

When I run the troubleshooting guide suggested by Terry (which is built in windows), Windows sees two tuners identifeid as follows :

GUID: {BF08FB28-FA93-4B83-9CF4-BE3A26E75557}

Nom: AVerMedia 7231 Analog TV Tuner

Type: Analogique

MCE activé: Oui

GUID: {A056C88E-5E81-48E4-B388-8CDF8AC44A2C}

Nom: AVerMedia 7231 ATSC Tuner

Type: Numérique

MCE activé: Non

The problem seems to come from the fact that the digital tuner isn't activated by default.

Does anybody has a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Pierre C.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2011 19:00

I have the same problem. sort of. the set does ok, I get reception, on channel 4. then i get the error "IR  hardware not detected".. and no way around that. i have a xps L702x, I7, 8GB ram, Nvidia 3GB, with Tuner, (avermedia h339).

Tried the "antena" set up, no go, all i get is white noise. My set up is with Direct tv set top box. Spent (or wasted), 6 hours with Dell TS...wow, a a total waste.

the only good thing: I just bought this thing, and it will be going back to dell. HP has a great unit, i messed around with it, and had it configured and working, in 2 minutes..it even has HDMI input.

but..if i see a solution here within a day or 2, will give it shot. otherwise I gave up, on this, and anything that dell ever sells.

No Events found!