Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

4 Posts

April 11th, 2005 17:00

Ghost problems between Latitude C600 and D600

I know one of the main reasons you IT guys out there (me included) don't like when Dell changes models is the fact your old Ghost images don't work. 

How do you get around this problem? 

I have some D600 latitudes and some C600s and want to use the same image.  When I use a D600 image on a C600 I get a blue screen and continual reboot on the C600.  Any help is appreciated.

Here is my info:
Hardware source:Dell Latitude D600
Hardware destination: Dell Latitude C600
Ghost version:8.x
Sysprep version:Latest from Win XP SP2.
Sysprep parms: Sysprep -quiet -reseal -mini -pnp -reboot

April 11th, 2005 19:00

I agree.  A ghost of one system to another (with different chipset or video drivers, etc.) will not boot without some work.  However, having a different ghost for every Dell model you have can be a lot of work and I was hoping someone on this forum with experience in doing this might be able to share this information.

Sysprep has options for removing plug in play drivers and other options so perhaps someone has done the work and can share their information.

937 Posts

April 11th, 2005 19:00

Entire hard drive Ghost images are not designed to be restored to different hardware so it is not surprising that this does not work for you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2005 10:00

The hardware is significantly different between the two systems - even if you can get it to work, you're likely to end up with users complaning of crashes and instability.

It'll take less time to build a proper image for the newer system than it will to try to back-patch the old image to the new hardware.
No Events found!