Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2011 08:00

HD Webcam not clear

Hi guys,

I just received my new XPS laptop (woot woot) but am having an issue with my webcam and was wondering if someone can tell me if it is normal or not? The computer came with an integrated 17.3" FHD (1080p) 2.0MP HD with facial recognition and the quality (clarity) is nowhere near as good as the non HD webcam I had in my old Studio laptop. Video and photos appear grainy. I thought HD would have produced crystal clear quality...am I wrong?

I've tried tinkering with the settings in Webcam Central but that doesn't help at all. Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of the webcam??

Not sure if the video card matters but its a NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB with optimus and tv tuner.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 11th, 2011 17:00

Sherry

As a test have you tried saving a picture taken by the camera and save it to a file? Then either email or transfer the file and check it on another system.  If you still have your old Studio send it to the Studio.  Open it up on the other system and see if the quality of the image improves or stays poor.  

If the image quality doesn't change then it might indeed by something with the webcam, but if the picture looks good then it may be the display on the new XPS that is at issue.  Try to find out if it is the camera or the display on the new XPS that is the issue.

TB

12 Posts

August 15th, 2011 09:00

Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried your suggestion; took a photo with my webcam and opened it on another system. Unfortunately, the photo still appears grainy and the colors are way off. I do believe it is an issue with the webcam itself which is a huge disappointment considering the amount of money I spent on this system.

I wonder if I can order a replacement cam?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 15th, 2011 18:00

Sherry

If you wish shoot me a private message with the service tag of the computer, your shipping and email address and your phone number and I will research possible service options to replace the webcam.

TB

No Events found!