Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

9 Posts

February 9th, 2007 05:00

HELP, HOW CAN I RECORD SOUND COMING FROM MY SOUNDCARD LAPTOP SPEAKER? Line in doesnt seem working

Im playing music on my laptop, from a cd, and im using the sound recorder program that came with windows, i noticed there were 2 options for recording, 1 called line in, and 1 for microphone, my microphone works, but when i select line it, and click on recording, no sound is being recorded, please help why?

9 Posts

February 9th, 2007 18:00

also my soundcard, i got the
Integrated High Definition Audio, Inspiron

50 Posts

February 12th, 2007 09:00

Let me try understand....

You are playing a CD on your laptop
You want to record the sound coming out of the speakers back onto your laptop?

If the answer is affirmative, do you have a microphone attached to your laptop?
Why would you possibly want to do this?

It is far easier to use an MP3 encoder to record your CD on the hard disk.

151 Posts

February 16th, 2007 18:00

I am transferring my old cassettes to cd's. I was able to hear them being played on my XP computer but cannot hear them being played while they are recorded on to the hard drive.

Inspiron 1505, Vista, Sigmatel

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 18th, 2007 02:00

WDarin,

We don't yet have the Registry edit to allow monitoring of the mic jack in Vista, but forum members are working on it.

enice177,

You need to use the recording source called "stereo mix" but it is not on the driver that Dell provides for your Sigmatel audio system.

There is an LG driver for the Sigmatel 92xx that has stereo mix. To get it follow this path:

LG Service Site

1. Click on 'Product Support'
2. Click on 'Device Driver'
3. Select 'Notebook' from the dropdown list under 'Product'
4. Select 'Windows XP' under 'Operating System'
5. Type 'Sigmatel' into the subject box.
6. Click 'search.'

The driver to choose is labelled Ver 5.10.04866 XNOTE(LE50)

(This driver is known to work on most of the Inspirons with the 92xx chip but reportedly not on the 640m/E1405 and XPS M1210. This driver was discovered by forum member dhkang002.)

As you probably know the program you are using, Windows Sound Recorder, has a limit of 60 seconds recording time (but there is a way to extend that limit).

Jim

151 Posts

February 18th, 2007 15:00

I was unable to connect to the LG site--something about http.

I am using a retail sound recording program which seems to be working ok under Vista. I recorded my input on to a cd and it sounds fine. The only problem seems to be inability to listen to recordings from an external device.

Shouldn't the companies involved be fixing this, not volunteers?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 19th, 2007 02:00

WDaren, the LG driver advice was for enice177; it wouldn't have helped your problem.

"Shouldn't the companies involved be fixing this, not volunteers?"

Why would they? The ability to monitor has been turned off by Dell. The members are trying to find the Registry key to re-enable it.

Jim

151 Posts

February 19th, 2007 13:00

Why would they turn off the ability to hear what is being recorded?  I have that ability in my Dell desktop.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 19th, 2007 16:00

My speculation is that they first did this back when all the laptops had built-in mics. Turning off monitoring would be a heavy handed way to control feedback caused by the mic being close to the speakers. This would free their tech support from having to constantly tell people to mute the mic volume control in Audio Properties.

Later (still speculating) when they stopped putting mics in the computers, they left monitoring disabled because they forgot why they disabled it in the first place.

If you want to take a look at the Registry, a poster thinks the key in Vista is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp

Jim

151 Posts

February 20th, 2007 13:00

Your theory that they forget to enable it must be right, otherwise it makes no sense!  They put in all this "media" capability, but then you can't use it to monitor your own recordings.

I was planning to use the laptop, for example, to help convert old super 8 movies with reel to reel soundtracks into dvd's. Now how can I do that if I cannot hear the input to time them right!  Sure there may be workarounds, but why should I have to "workaround?"

Sooner or later I will have to try the suggested alternate drivers. I hope somebody comes up with a new proper driver.  I would rather not tinker myself with the registry.
(I miss the Audigy on my desktop.)

BTW, I inquired earlier if a Dell updated driver helped. I tried it and it did not.

151 Posts

February 27th, 2007 14:00

Just to keep this thread alive.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 1st, 2007 00:00

WDaren,

There might be some confusion as to what this thread is about. The person who started it wanted to internally record the output of his sound card. That is a driver issue involving the input source 'stereo mix'.

You want to monitor your mic jack, a different subject entirely. That is a Registry issue involving the key 'EnableInputMonitor' that has to be added to the Registry in Vista.

It's worth understanding the distinction between these two issues. A different driver can resolve the first issue but is unlikely to affect the second.

Jim

2 Posts

May 7th, 2011 16:00

Jim, I know this is a really old post but we are having an issue recording from a dell vostro 200 xp machine.  I am assuming it is the same issue you found above.  Is there a registry fix I can use for an xp machine.

Thanks,

Kathy

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 7th, 2011 17:00

Hello Kathy,

Can you clear up for me which laptop model you have? There is a Vostro 200 desktop computer, or do you have a laptop? This forum is for laptop models. There is a Vostro 1200 laptop.

we are having an issue recording from a dell vostro 200 xp machine.

What is the issue exactly?

2 Posts

May 7th, 2011 20:00

Jim,

I am so sorry, I did not realize that it was only for Laptops and Notebooks.  Yes it is a desktop.  I've found a work around by unpluging my mic but I would like to use them both.  I will search elsewhere.  Thank you.

Kathy

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 7th, 2011 20:00

That's okay. This is a difficult forum to figure out. Here is a link to the Desktop Audio discussion board.

No Events found!