Highlighted
bonpo_dojo
Bronze

Hard Drive Failed during diagnostic. Error Code 2000-0142

Jump to solution

Dear forum / Dell support guru's,

Please help. I have just run a diagnostic on my broken Inspiron and have the following error message:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Error

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 –
S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

The given code and
message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the
problem.

Do you want to continue
testing?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

** Hard Drive 0 – DST
Short Test **

Test Results : Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 –
S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

55 Replies
bonpo_dojo
Bronze

Re: Hard Drive Failed during diagnostic. Error Code 2000-0142

Jump to solution

Does this error messgage mean that the HD is broken and needs to be replaced?

Please help.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

All,

A PSA/ePSA diagnostic code of 2000-0142 indicates the the HDD (hard disk drive) Self Test was unsuccessful. It could be the HDD, HDD cable, or connector on the motherboard. Open the system, reseat the HDD and HDD cable. Run the PSA/ePSA test again. If you get the same error, if the system is under warranty, we will replace the HDD. If the system is out of warranty, post the model and someone can recommend a possible replacement for your faulty HDD.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
bonpo_dojo
Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Manpreet,

I shall follow your instructions. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Manpreet, I have the same problem and would really appreciate help. Thanks!

ejn63
Diamond

Jump to solution

If the system is under warranty, call Dell with the error and they'll replace the drive.  If it's out of warranty, post the model and someone can recommend a replacement for your faulty hard drive.

Makarrov
Copper

Jump to solution

A PSA diag code of 2000-0142 indicates the self test  was unsuccessful and  it could be a cable or connector. Reseat the HDD. Run the PSAs again and if you get the same error replace the HDD but if you get a 2000-0146 that indicates the DST Log contains previous error(s). You can clear the log by booting into BIOS(F2) and selection the option to clear logs.  You could also run chkdsk /r from the command console to see if it resolves the issue. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen it work. If for some reason chkdsk keeps canceling its self use the command chkntfs /t:0.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am getting this error message on my out of warranty Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 OP.  Can you let me know what my replacement is.  Also, I received the following error for the memory test - Memory XMA7S32 Error Code 0123 Msg Error ode 2000-0123.  Memory - Integrity test failed.  I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Jump to solution

Remove and reinstall both memory modules - then re-test.  If you see a failure, record which module it was, then swap the two.  Re-test. If the failure follows the memory module, replace that module. If it sticks to the same socket with the other module that didn't fail, it's the socket that's bad - replace the mainboard.

0 Kudos
MichFar
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 1545.  It recently crashed while I was on it.  I ran the diagnotic tests and received the following two error codes:

2000-0123

2000-0142

I was told at my local Staples store (where the laptop was purchased less than 3 1/2 years ago) that I need a new hard drive. 

Can you give me some insight on my situation and let me know if it is normal for the hard drive to go so quickly?

I appreciate all and any information you can provide me with.

Thank you!

Michelle

0 Kudos