Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2012 21:00

Help! - Dell XPS L502X- Did OS Reinstall, Unknown device, no driver installed, installed all drivers on ResourceCD

Hi all. I did an OS reinstall earlier today and I installed all the drivers on the Dell Resource CD that are applicable to my system but there is one device that Windows doesn't know what it is and through Windows Update, can't find/download the driver so its kind of annoying. I selected all drivers that are applicable to me (i.e.: have a tick beside them to state that the hardware is present in my laptop) but when I go to Devices & Printers, my laptop has a little exclamation mark beside it and states "Needs Troubleshooting". So I let Windows do its troubleshoot and attempt to the get the driver for the unknown device but it doesn't work and fails so can anyone tell me what is the missing driver I need to install? I already tried installing the Intel Bluetooth driver but it doesn't seem to be the culprit because the exclamation mark is still there, even after a system restart. Thanks.

7 Posts

September 27th, 2012 22:00

Ok, I forgot to reply back here to explain my solution. I experimented installing one of the system utility drivers, the ST Microelectronics DE351DL   Rev: A01. I found that this was the driver causing the issue as once I installed it, the error was gone.

3.8K Posts

September 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you just installed Windows, then check how to install drivers in the correct order. This should cover all the drivers for your laptop.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

7 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

I followed the guide but I still have the same problem. Also, there are items in that list that my laptop doesn't come with (NSS and PCMCIA/Smartcard Controller). Those drivers don't appear on my Dell ResourceCD.

September 2nd, 2012 23:00

likely its either webcam or face recognition/finger print software.

3.8K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hi,

We will need to find out which driver is missing. Every device has a Vendor and Device id associated with it. Using these IDs, you can find the drivers. For this,

-Open Device Manager, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager.

-The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.

- Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.

-Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.

-The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID

Eg: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086

&REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

Vendor ID = 8086

Device ID = 27DC

- A Google search of "VEN_8086&DEV_27DC" will tell you what device it is and with that you can download the drivers from www.support.dell.com . Hope this helps.

Thank you.

29 Posts

September 27th, 2012 16:00

Posted by TariqG :

"I followed the guide but I still have the same problem. Also, there are items in that list that my laptop doesn't come with (NSS and PCMCIA/Smartcard Controller). Those drivers don't appear on my Dell ResourceCD.

I have same problem !

29 Posts

September 28th, 2012 17:00

ST Microelectronics DE351DL  Rev: A01  is a Motion Sensor Driver .

My laptop doesn't come with NSS and PCMCIA/Smartcard Controller and Dell DataSafe.For me it is important to find NSS and Dell DataSafe,PCMCIA/Smartcard Controller.

29 Posts

September 29th, 2012 16:00

now only PCMCIA/Smartcard Controller missing ! ??? please help !

No Events found!