Highlighted

How do I disable the Dell Media Direct hot button?

So I was totally unaware it would boot the machine in the first place till now when I pressed it instead of the power button by mistake.

Happily I found out it toggles back to normal boot when pressed again.

Even though I have long ago wiped the factory install and reloaded from the recovery disks it wants to boot to an embedded XP OS that of course is no longer there is not gonna be there should not be there so why the heck is it looking for it.

I just want to disable the button from annoying me in that way again.

Right now I just have no polite words to describe the stupidity of the programming that went into this 'feature'.

-Tobin

0 Kudos
16 Replies
james201
Silver

Re: How do I disable the Dell Media Direct hot button?

hi , what did you press instead of the power button  ?
0 Kudos

To the left of the power button. The one with the house on it.

It is supposed to boot to a 'mini xp' for simply playing media (mp3s, dvd's, etc) without bringing up the whole operating system.

For starters the machine came with Vista, not XP. It has been reformatted and reloaded with the recovery disk so there is no longer any trace of XP on it.

I have read elsewhere that this feature 'works' with ubuntu installed and further that it can corrupt the Master Boot Record.

Mosty I don't need or want it and there should be a way to disable the thing.

0 Kudos
james201
Silver

What laptop do you actually have, i should have asked this previously.
0 Kudos

Inspirion 1721
0 Kudos
james201
Silver

im not sure if this is what you want, but you could change your quickset button. You may be able to manipulate the code so that it runs nothing.   http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/540776-change-dell-media-direct-button.html 

0 Kudos

No I want to disable the boot function.

I want it NOT TO BOOT THE MACHINE WHEN PRESSED WHILE IT IS POWERED OFF.

0 Kudos
james201
Silver

Unfortunately, i do not think it is possible to complete remove the button. But i only had a quick scout through google, and there is 1000's of results. Try searching for  " disable media direct button ""

and search hard. Someone out there will probably have an answer.

0 Kudos

Well if can't be disabled then my wife who will be purchasing a new laptop in the near future will be buying a lenovo. I will no longer recommend Dell to anyone.  

This is not something I want or need and I should be able to easily turn it off.

0 Kudos
james201
Silver

I would reccommend contacting dell directly about your issue. They will do all they can to help you      http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dellcare/en/contact_techn...    This is the link to the free technical support.

I Would also recommend trying to post this topic in  the software folder

0 Kudos