Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

July 26th, 2008 04:00

How do I disable the Dell Media Direct hot button?

So I was totally unaware it would boot the machine in the first place till now when I pressed it instead of the power button by mistake.

Happily I found out it toggles back to normal boot when pressed again.

Even though I have long ago wiped the factory install and reloaded from the recovery disks it wants to boot to an embedded XP OS that of course is no longer there is not gonna be there should not be there so why the heck is it looking for it.

I just want to disable the button from annoying me in that way again.

Right now I just have no polite words to describe the stupidity of the programming that went into this 'feature'.

-Tobin

17 Posts

July 26th, 2008 15:00

To the left of the power button. The one with the house on it.

It is supposed to boot to a 'mini xp' for simply playing media (mp3s, dvd's, etc) without bringing up the whole operating system.

For starters the machine came with Vista, not XP. It has been reformatted and reloaded with the recovery disk so there is no longer any trace of XP on it.

I have read elsewhere that this feature 'works' with ubuntu installed and further that it can corrupt the Master Boot Record.

Mosty I don't need or want it and there should be a way to disable the thing.

80 Posts

What laptop do you actually have, i should have asked this previously.

80 Posts

hi , what did you press instead of the power button  ?

17 Posts

Inspirion 1721

80 Posts

July 26th, 2008 16:00

I would reccommend contacting dell directly about your issue. They will do all they can to help you      http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dellcare/en/contact_technical_support?c=uk&l=en&s=gen    This is the link to the free technical support.

I Would also recommend trying to post this topic in  the software folder

17 Posts

Well if can't be disabled then my wife who will be purchasing a new laptop in the near future will be buying a lenovo. I will no longer recommend Dell to anyone.  

This is not something I want or need and I should be able to easily turn it off.

80 Posts

im not sure if this is what you want, but you could change your quickset button. You may be able to manipulate the code so that it runs nothing.   http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/540776-change-dell-media-direct-button.html 

80 Posts

Unfortunately, i do not think it is possible to complete remove the button. But i only had a quick scout through google, and there is 1000's of results. Try searching for  " disable media direct button ""

and search hard. Someone out there will probably have an answer.

17 Posts

No I want to disable the boot function.

I want it NOT TO BOOT THE MACHINE WHEN PRESSED WHILE IT IS POWERED OFF.

3.6K Posts

July 26th, 2008 20:00

The Media Direct button can not be disabled or turned off.You can delete/uninstall the media direct from the drive,but if by accident you happen to hit the media direct button after doing this it will render the laptop unresponsive.The purpose of media direct is for users to be able to watch/view media without windows being loaded,not a stupid idea.

17 Posts

July 26th, 2008 23:00

@dgkpcon wrote:
not a stupid idea.

it is if i have to reload the OS and the hidden partition is now gone.

it is if i don't want it installed in the first place.

it is if it hoses the master boot record and or blue screens when it tries to load.

if i wanted a media center PC i would have ordered a media center pc and been done with it.

i do not need it, want it, and it is breaking the machine.

i should be able to remove it and that is all there is to it.

it will still be about if i wipe the drive completely and load my favorite flavor of linux and will make things even worse if it tries to boot then.

i can save the data if things hosed again on the laptop but i really would rather not.

if dell thinks this is peachy keen to install on EVERY LAPTOP then i want some of what they are smoking. (even better lets install something that reqires XP on a machine running vista)

there is no technical reason to not have removal tool for this. aboslutely no reason whatsoever.

3.6K Posts

July 27th, 2008 03:00

The 1721 is a media center,so you did order it.

You can remove it,as i said in first post delete,or uninstall media direct.Just don't hit the button after you have.

17 Posts

July 27th, 2008 04:00

Where is it advertised as PC for hooking up and running movies, tv, music in the specs and that it is designed specifically for that? It says that you can use it as such. It does not say hey we hard wired a seperate power on key that can break your boot sector. Which is what I have right now.

And that still does not excuse the lack of a removal tool.

80 Posts

July 27th, 2008 10:00

If it is bothering you that much, why dont you just remove the cables for the button, and then when you press the button, nothing will happen.

September 18th, 2011 21:00

You cant remove the cables from it as it is made onto the keyboard. But you can do like I did and when you get it booting back to normal just put a drop of super glue on the top cover at the home looking or media center button and bingo it want push down.

No Events found!