Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

11 Posts

January 27th, 2009 22:00

How to Disable Touchpad on Inspiron 1525?

My touchpad is irratic and I prefer to use an optical mouse.  I have gone into the properties of the mouse and the disable button does not give me the option to disable.  I've read that it can be done through BIOS, but I do not know how to do that.  Is there a simple way to accomplish disabling the touchpad?  This computer is almost a year old and has Vista home premium.  Thanks in advance for some help.

4.6K Posts

January 28th, 2009 09:00

First of all, you MUST have the official Synaptics Touchpad drivers from the Dell website installed, else the 'Dell Touchpad' tab will not show in the mouse configuration window!

Once the drivers are installed, open Control Panel --> Mouse --> Dell Touchpad.
Click on the large screen with an arrow, which will open the touchpad configuration window.
Click on 'Device Select', and right at the bottom is a box which you can tick to 'Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when a USB mouse is connected.
As soon as you tick that option, a message will pop up in the taskbar, confirming your selection.

You can make doubly sure however, by also choosing 'Disable' under the Touchpad' heading in the same window.

Be sure to click 'Apply' once you've made your selections.

11 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Thank you very much.  That did the trick.  a lot of people are having this same problem.  When I Googled the problem it popped up a lot.

1 Message

August 24th, 2016 12:00

How do I disable touchpad on Dell insprion 15 3000 series on windos 10

No Events found!