Highlighted
rammmstein
Silver

How to check the microphone?

I tried to use both the external and internal micrphone with karaoke program and could not hear my voice. How would one trouble shoot it? Please, help!!!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RandyB
Gold

Re: How to check the microphone?

AFAIK: Karaoke won't work on notebooks.
0 Kudos
rammmstein
Silver

Just like that? How would actually makes the mike work and test it? I went into volume control properties and checked microphone but I don't know how to operate it.

Insp 8500, 2mhz, SXGA, 640MB, ATI

0 Kudos
RandyB
Gold

rammmstein wrote:

Just like that? How would actually makes the mike work and test it? I went into volume control properties and checked microphone but I don't know how to operate it.

Insp 8500, 2mhz, SXGA, 640MB, ATI

Open the 'Volume controls', 'Recording' and check the microphone box. Go to 'accessories', 'entertainment', 'sound recorder' click on the 'record' button and speak into the mic.

I had a look at the manual for the 8500. Is there no built-in mic? I didn't see one!

If you attach an external mic, I don't think you can enable the mic (in recording properties) and playback at the same time. Perhaps someone who actually owns an 85-8600 could shed more light on this. I think it's a limitation of the sound card and/or mixer.

0 Kudos
dansmith9
Silver

Hi I have a Inspiron 8500 and can say that it does have an in-built microphone.

15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) UltraSharp Wide - Aspect Screen
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32MB Graphics Card
FUJITSU MHT2040AT 40GB HDD
SAMSUNG 8xDVD/24xCD-RW Combo Drive
One type I/II PC Card Slot
SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port
Modular Floppy Disk Drive
2 USB 2.0 Ports
Firewire
3 Years Collect and Return
Windows XP Home Edition
0 Kudos
rammmstein
Silver

So, is there a microphone on 8500 or not? Honestly I don't see one on the body of Inspiron. All it has are fans/air intake and speakers. The thing is I see the microphone in the settings but I don't know where it is or how to use it. I plugged a cheap external microphone and it'd not work either ... Is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks.

Inspiron 8500
Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M 2 Ghz
640MB 266Mhz DDR SDRAM
15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) UltraSharp Wide - Aspect Screen
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32MB Graphics Card
HITACHI 30GB HDD
8xDVD Drive
Modular Floppy Disk Drive
2 USB 2.0 Ports
Firewire
3 Years Collect and Return
Windows XP Pro

0 Kudos
GunWing911
Silver

The microphone is above the Caps Lock indicator LED near the base of the LCD screen, that small hole in the case.
0 Kudos
spiked_martini
Platinum

Randy's right - you can't have the notebook playing back while speaking into the mic, because of possible feedback issues. The only way you can get around this is to hack the sound drivers.
0 Kudos