Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2016 16:00

How to fix the trackpad on my M7710

I see that trackpad problems are common to Dell laptops.  I have read the forums here and other places that have suggested different driver fixes. The only thing I have found that works is to uninstall the driver completely and not reinstall anything.  However, this works until I reboot the machine, and then the driver gets installed again and it is back to problems.

Is there anything out there that works?

December 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hi whitenack,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

What is the exact problem with the trackpad?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 06:00

Thanks for the reply.  There are a couple of different issues going on at the same time and they appear to be driver related.

The first problem is the pointer will randomly start to move slowly around the screen.  It doesn't do it all the time, just randomly from time to time, once or twice every few minutes.  While it is doing this, there is no way to stop it from moving around unless you wiggle the pointstick.  The only way to prevent this error from occurring is to go to the touchpad settings and completely disabling the pointstick.  

The next problem is the pointer will randomly freeze for a few seconds.  It does not seem to be related to anything going on with the machine (grinding or overloading the processor).  It will just randomly freeze for a second or two (sometimes longer) and you just have to sit there and wait for it to work again.  

If you google search for these issues you'll see several discussions about them.  The common fix that I see recommended is to completely uninstall the touchpad drivers.  Some suggest deleting the drivers, then reinstalling the updated drivers.  Others suggest deleting the drivers and not reinstalling the drivers (just letting Windows10 handle the settings).  I have tried these but nothing works.

The only thing that works temporarily is to delete the drivers completely, not reinstall any new drivers, and not restart the machine when it prompts me to.  This will work for the remainder or my time when the machine on, but whenever I reboot the machine the drivers get reinstalled and I'm back to where I started.

I will send you my info in PM.  Thanks.

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

Hi whitenack,

Thank you for these details.

We have responded to your private message.

184 Posts

December 29th, 2016 01:00

Hi whitenack,

Thank you for reaching us here. Sorry to know that you're facing touchpad issues with the system. I request you to follow the instructions from the link shared here http://dell.to/2iaoVSa and let us know the outcome.

In case if you need further assistance I request you to share the system service tag, registered owner's name and email via private message so that I will review the details and assist you further. You can send a private message by hovering the mouse pointer over my username, and adding me as a friend.

No Events found!