Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2010 05:00

How to restore Dell Inspiron 1525 to Original Factory Settings ??

Im looking at restoring my laptop to how it was when I first got it, at the moment its kinda slugish. However every forum I seem to go on tells me to press F8, when my system boots up, to take me to 'Advanced Boot Options', and then  selet 'Repair your Computer'. But the probelem is that isn't there. All I have is :

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable low-resolution video (640x480)

Last Known Good Configuaration (advanced)

Directory Services Restore Mode

Debugging Mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Any ideas what I have to select, and what do I have to do to restore my computer. (Oh and by the way I've got Vista not XP if that makes any difference. Ive also been on the Dell support website, but that also tells me to select 'Repair your computer')

3 Posts

March 31st, 2010 05:00

You could try directory services mode?

But i dont acutally have a 1525 :)

i got the 1545 :D

March 31st, 2010 07:00

Yer i tried that, but it just opens in safe mode then :S

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 31st, 2010 09:00

Factory Image Restore is an image in a hidden partition on the hard drive. If the partition is missing then you won't get a Factory Image Restore option when you do F8. The partition is missing because either the entire hard drive has been reformatted or because the hard drive has been replaced.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 01:00

So is there anyway to set to factory settings when the hard drive has been reformatted or replaced

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 03:00

No.  You must do a manual install in those cases.

1 Message

August 16th, 2011 01:00

I have the same problem! see you have not had an answer! did you manage to figure it out and if so could you please help me! thanx

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2011 06:00

see you have not had an answer!

The answer was that you won't have the option anymore after the recovery partition has been removed.

In addition, if the computer was an "upgrade" to Vista or was bought through "Express Upgrade" it never would have had the partition at all.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2011 09:00

See this thread for a link to download "Boot.DSR.exe" which is a utility to launch the recovery in models with Windows XP  I don't know if it will work for Windows Vista which is what the recovery partition on an Inspiron 1525 will have.

No Events found!