Highlighted
Raghu.A
Bronze

How to restore from recovery partition for Dell XPS 17 l702x

Hi,

Lately i observed that my Windows 7 64bit  is slowed down, and it takes long to boot up, hence i thought of restoring Win7 OS from the factory recovery parttion.

When the laptop boots up i see only two options, either to press F2 (which is entering BOS) or F12 (which enters screen for boot sequence) but i did not find any option to restore my OS from recovery partition.

Could any one please help/advice on how do i restore recovery partition, what is the key i need to press for entering into recovery console.

If posssible please direct me if any link for step by step process.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
19 Replies

Re: How to restore from recovery partition for Dell XPS 17 l702x

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Use the below link to restore back to factory settings.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi Royan,

Thank you for sharing the link.

I will give a try and get back here.

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi,

I have one more question before i check / proceed with restoring to factory settings,

At the time of shipping my laptop had only two partitions C & D (total two 500 GB disks) with OS installed on C drive.

Later I had split/resized the partitions as C, D, E and F ensuring that there is no loss of the data.

And now if I want to restore back from recovery partition, would i see any issues as i have resized C partition.

and will it ask in which drive I want to restore OS.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos

Hi,

The D drive is the recovery partition. So if you have formatted the hard drive and created those partitions then I am afraid you have lost the recovery partition and will not be able to restore your computer. To check if you still have the recovery partition, click on start, right click on computer, click on manage, click on Disk Management, and check if you have Recovery as a partition. If you see Recovery as an option then you can restore back to factory settings. By default it will install the OS on the Primary Partition which is the C drive. Below is a picture of Disk Management.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi Royan,

Thank you,

Actually I did not format my hard drives but I have only resized the partitions into four (C,D,E and F) and that time I made sure that no data was lost.

And now I can see the recovery partition is still there when I look into disk management. Please see the below screen shot.

And via boot menu I had followed the below procedure and tried to recover the computer , I see a message that Image is corrupted.

But in actual I can see recovery partition is there, request you to please look into below screens.

When I tried to manually locate the recovery partition/system backups, the files and folders  are there but the next button is never enabled even though I selected each folder and tried.

Please help me how do I fix this and recover my laptop back.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi,

Could i get any help on my above issue.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi all,

Any suggestion/advice on my above concern is appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards.

Raghu.

0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

It looks like the recovery partition is corrupt, and you will need to Manually reinstall Windows to fix this. Use the below link to manually install windows.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Raghu.A
Bronze

Hi Royan,

Thanks,

Actually I do not have the Dell recovery DVD's, I only have One DVD "Dell drivers and utilities"

As per my knowledge/experience is concerned as I did not touch the recovery partition at the time of resizing, ideally it should not have happened.

Is there any way to fix recovery partition if it is corrupt, as the files and folders are still there.

Or as an alternative, Is it possible to download recovery partition content from the Dell Website?  

Please help me through this issue.

Regards.

Raghu.    

0 Kudos