Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2011 17:00

How to turn just the laptop screen off?

Hi, I have a Dell XPS L701x notebook, and i have an external second LCD Monitor connected to the laptop. When I see Movie on the 2nd Monitor, I would like to turn off the screen of the notebook (JUST THE NOTEBOOK). I try this QuickSET touch button, and I try to set the "SCREEN TURN OFF" to the instant button. But it turn both screens off, not just the notebook screen. 

Other Notebooks, like ASUS, etc, got an FN quick key which turned the notebook screen off. Im sure, that DELL have also some solution for that.

Please help me! :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2011 03:00

Kojak007,

If you press the F1 key, you should see something like this...

Select projector ONLY.

What happens?

Rick

3 Posts

February 9th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for your answer Rick,

it is a half solution (it inactivate the laptop screen). Becouse if I set to "projector only", than take my everything to the 2nd monitor (taskbar, other programs, my Rocketdock). But I dont want to disconnect this screen, just turn off the annoying light from it. If I use this "Projector only" mode, It is too much time for the laptop (to load, etc), and after I need manualy set up some additional programs. 

Maybe exist another solution, when it just simple turn off the light from my laptop screen, but in this time the screen is still active, just the light turned off? And if I click second to this key turn back it on,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2011 07:00

Kojak007,

Just thinking. Try...

Start, control panel, power options. Choose what closing the lid does. Switch the closing the lid to do nothing.

Not sure if you also need to change, choose when to turn off the display or not.  Put the computer to sleep may have to be changed to never or a longer time, if your presentation is longer than the time that is there.

The laptop will remail on, closing the lid will turn off the display but it should still(hopefully) keep the external display active.

Rick

3 Posts

February 18th, 2011 20:00

Sorry Rick for my late reply, but i was on businnes trip

no thats not working. when i closing the lid, the laptop screen and the external screen also turning off... :(

could it be, thats no solution for my problem?? :( :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2011 10:00

Kojak007,

Was asking around and the person suggested trying Fn and F8 but that didn't work on my computer.

Looking at the Windows Mobility Center.

When an external display is attached, can you click on the external display button where it says, no display attached?

Maybe try using the instant Launch Manager and see if you can use the multimedia key to launch the display so something similar.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2011 13:00

Kojak007,

Does Fn and the down arrow dim the display ONLY?

You want to have the display on the projector and dim the laptop display, correct?

Rick

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 16:00

how can i reach to this icons i press F 1 and there is no thing shown to me :(  

2K Posts

June 25th, 2016 17:00

Hi MOHAMMED KOTB,

You have posted on a very old thread that is locked for editing. Please make a new post and write a detailed description of the issue and include the exact system model and the current OS on the system, so we could help.

No Events found!