Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

15 Posts

November 2nd, 2005 14:00

I can't hear my microphone at my speakers

I have 2 problems. First, I'm trying to use an external microphone and hear it through the through external speakers. When I click on the Volume Control and properties, a selection for microphone is not available to click in the playback option only recording option.  Second, my mic works just fine to record (so it's working) but with MSN, Yahoo messengers or any other program that can use the mic I can't use to have an audio conversation. I used to be able to do that but I can't anymore. I can record just fine but I can't hear anything unless I record. I can I do to fix that?
 Also I saw somewhere here at the forum that I need to download the drivers directly from ESS Tech to be able to hear my mic sound at any time at my speakers. Which one will work for my case? Or is a different one for me? I have 2 computers one Inspiron 600 w/ win XP Pro and one Dimension 2400 with Win XP. Thanks
Iane

15 Posts

November 2nd, 2005 15:00

OK

I was able to solve one of the problems to use the mic with the MSN, Yahoo messenger (etc..) but still I can't hear the sound of the mic in my speaker at any given time. I was able to find that the inspiron 600m has the sigmatell audio and the Dimension 24000 has the soundmax digital audio. And actually the Dimension have the Microphone option the volume control , it is not in mute the volume is high enough so why can'y I use the mic and hear at any time? What do I need to fix the problem with both systems? :smileysad:Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2005 22:00

I don't know about your Dimension, but Dell ships the Inspirons with the ability to monitor the input at the mic jack turned off. Mic monitoring can be restored by altering the value of the Registry subkey 'DisableMicFromPlayback' in Windows XP. It's a good idea to create a new restore point before editing the Registry.

(This Registry edit was originally posted in a basic form by dilleyo, and jk79 later added more detailed instructions. I have put it into a step-by-step format for those of us who need it this way. If you are already familiar with editing the Registry skip down to the direct path at the bottom.)

1. Go to Start menu and click on Run. Type 'regedit' without quotes and click OK to open the Registry.
2. At the top of the list, highlight My Computer.
3. Under the Edit menu, select Find.
4. Type in 'DisableMicFromPlayback' without quotes and click 'find next'.
5. Highlight DisableMicFromPlayback. Right click on it and select Modify.
6. Highlight 01 and change to 00. Click OK.
7. Exit the Registry and restart the computer.

Next, configure the system mixer:
1. Open Volume Control by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar, or go to Start/Control Panel/ Sound & Audio Devices Properties/Advanced (button).
2. Under the Options menu, select Properties.
3. Under show the following volume controls check the box next to Microphone. Click OK.
4. A mic control appears in the Volume Control. Make sure the mute box is unchecked.

Jim

Here is the direct Registry path to the key:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

\0005\Settings.

15 Posts

November 3rd, 2005 10:00

Hi

It worked :smileywink: thank you soooo much :smileyvery-happy:

PS. If you anyone can't find "find" in mine it was at Edit not File

7 Posts

November 17th, 2005 03:00

Hi,

I just followed the same way whats described here.  I am using Dell 6000. I modified keys as told here.  i was able to hear others voice and others cant listen me.

I tried recording my voice in sound recorder, but i am not able to listen my voice too.

All my sound drivers looks find and working properly. What went on wrong?

Any help is really appreciated

15 Posts

November 17th, 2005 23:00

make sure at the volume control "mute" is not selected at the Microphone , also try PM this person that helped me.
Iane

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 18th, 2005 11:00

Actually I don't like getting those pm's so I'll just say that I don't know why this works for some and not for others.

Some folks with i8600's have had to go back to the Registry and change the value of "EnablePoPBypass" to 00. If yours has that subkey you might try changing it to see what happens. Be sure to create a Restore point before messing around in there.

Some folks have said that after running the audio test of Dell Diagnostics things would just start working. To run diagnostics restart, and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'diagnostic' from the boot menu. It will run some tests for a couple of minutes before the diagnostic comes up. When it does select 'custom', then the audio test. This can also test your external microphone.

Jim

7 Posts

November 18th, 2005 13:00

Guys,

apart of this change ie 'DisableMicFromPlayback'  from 01 to 00 , i changed the following setting also

DisableMicSelect from 01 to 00. Thiis entry is just below 'DisableMicFromPlayback'  . I restarted system and i was able to solve my prb and able to talk through MIC. In case for any references for any other users: my notebook is Dell Inspiron: 6000D

thanks for the help of this great forum.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 19th, 2005 01:00

Thanks for that tip and feedback.

Jim

1 Message

January 14th, 2006 14:00

Hi - Maybe somebody can tell me if I have the same problem ?

When I read your correspondence it seems to me that Dimension2400 has a built in microphone - is that true ? - I can not find it and how to activate it.

I thought that you should have to buy one. If so maybe someone could tell me which one is the right one - and where is the plug - in ?

Best And

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 16th, 2006 02:00

This is the Inspiron laptop forum. Use the dropdown box above, 'jump to a message board' to go to the Dimension Audio board and post your question there. I'd answer I don't know. Good luck.

Jim

9 Posts

January 5th, 2007 17:00

Hi to all.

I have this problem, i cant hear playback from microphone....if i talk msn, yahoo, skype..., if a record,  im very very disappointment, freak.

1. i check all conecctions
2. i check software & drivers
3. i check  all RegEdit:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
\0005\Settings.

there is no "DisableMicFromPlayback" doesnt exist Windows XP Pro, WIn XP MCE 2005 Even Vista RTM Ultimate, there is nothing about Mic or Input, playback !!!

4. tech support clear BIOS too....an the results are: NOTHING, NADA !

XPS M1710 Its a HighENd PC...not just for gamers, can be an extreme MObile WorkStation on music creation...but i think if you spend more tahn 3000$ for nothing...thats maybe call "ESTAFA" , i already tryed, readed and do anything to make it work, it doesnt.
Whats Next....

Computer Start to WarmUP (more than usual).... to much...i ask and take pc to technicalSupp...they said..." ITS NORMALLY " well...and why two week before FAN LEDs BurnOut !

I Call for "So...whats this" we are going to change you computer...them they said...ok, we going to give you a new motherboard...2007....i dont have nothing, Pc is dead.

I HOpe when i recibe this part....Return the Pc to DELL or Sell IT... this PC is not what it cost,

i could have Mobility ATI  Radeon X1800 XT (better than Nvidia)
i could have E-MU / Creative Sound CHIP...you can have build-In best Sound...or external speakers greater sound....

Dell XPS M1710
Intel CoreDuo T2600
2Gb DDR2 667Mhz
100Gb Hdd 7200RPM
Nvidia 7900GTX 512MB
SIGMATEL badSounD...with creative software...
3 Years Warran w/ 3 CompleteCARe...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 5th, 2007 19:00

The "DisableMicFromPlayback" Registry line is just in models with the Sigmatel 975x audio chip and driver. Your computer has the Sigmatel 92xx chip. For those instructions:

Look at the sticky post 'Portable-Audio FAQ' (it's the very 1st post) and the question 'Why can't I hear sounds from a microphone or music player plugged into the Mic Jack?'

There are 2 sets of instructions. Follow the 2nd set, those for models with the Sigmatel 92xx chip.

Jim

August 26th, 2007 10:00

This idea didn't exactly came from me, I just added something specifically for Inspiron 6400/E1505. Mic monitoring or Input Monitoring can be restored by altering the value of the Registry subkey 'EnableInputMonitor' in Windows XP. It's a good idea to create a new restore point before editing the Registry. (This Registry edit was originally posted in a basic form by dilleyo, and jk79 later added more detailed instructions. I have put it into a step-by-step format for those of us who need it this way. If you are already familiar with editing the Registry skip down to the direct path at the bottom.) 1. Go to Start menu and click on Run. Type 'regedit' without quotes and click OK to open the Registry. 2. At the top of the list, highlight My Computer. 3. Under the Edit menu, select Find. 4. Type in 'EnableInputMonitor' without quotes and click 'find next'. 5. Highlight EnableInputMonitor. Right click on it and select Modify. 6. Highlight 00 and change to 01. Click OK. 7. Exit the Registry and restart the computer. Next, configure the system mixer: 1. Open Volume Control by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar, or go to Start/Control Panel/ Sound & Audio Devices Properties/Advanced (button). 2. Under the Options menu, select Properties. 3. Under show the following volume controls check the box next to Microphone. Click OK. 4. A Input Monitor control appears in the Volume Control. Make sure the mute box is unchecked. bushmaster70/Paul Here is the direct Registry path to the key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} \0005\Settings\rear.

1 Message

November 27th, 2011 00:00

Hey Jim,  thanks for the great information . . . I've spent many hours trying to download different audio codecs with no success as to getting my laptop to allow me to hear the microphjone thru my external speakers in live time . . .

The info you provided about the "registry" setting was full proof and works like a charm . . .

thanks, a billion . . .

Mr Eagle

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 27th, 2011 04:00

Hey Jim,  thanks for the great information . .

Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Eagle. For anybody who stumbles across this thread in the future, go to

The Input Monitoring FAQ

No Events found!