Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2012 14:00

I can't use my Touchpad while typing

Hello, I am running a new Inspiron 15R SE 7520 laptop, and I am to understand that this is a feature built into this laptop. While I understand the utility behind this, I cannot find a way to disable this feature. I tried turning "Palm Tracking" down to minimum, but this did not work.

As someone who likes to play games in their spare time on the computer, this will help me enjoy using my new laptop immensely.

1 Message

August 19th, 2012 02:00

I had this exact same problem which really affected my gaming and I took me forever to figure out a solution. After observing other answers from other websites, I decided to look in the registry.

Open your search and look for regedit within your laptop and follow this pathway.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Move

Change the value to 0 so there's no delay.

Originally I thought it was "DisableWhenType_Enable" but that didn't seem to affect anything. If you want, you can also change that to 0. They really should have made this more friendly to disable rather than go into the registry. Hope this helps!

1 Message

April 28th, 2014 18:00

Posting in an old thread because this was my first Google result and hopefully others will find the answer here.

I have an M4700 which uses an Alps touchpad so the registry key that was already mentioned doesn't apply to me.  On Win7 x64 the registry key is here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alps\Apoint\Stick

Set SPTapTyping to "0"

Now you can actually use the pointing stick and mouse buttons while holding down keys like the spacebar.

24 Posts

August 10th, 2012 15:00

Disable touchcheck.

Go to mouse settings then Touchpad, I think Touchcheck fixes it.

[I also had this problem and I also play games online] :)

4 Posts

August 10th, 2012 16:00

This is a screenshot of my touchpad settings window. I'm assuming "palmtracking'' is similar to "touchcheck", but it yields no desirable results. Otherwise, I cannot find the setting.

24 Posts

Here's a picture from mine. I disabled it.

You don't have this?

http://i49.tinypic.com/mbreyq.png

4 Posts

Bugger, I cannot find "Touchcheck" anywhere in Touchpad settings.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 10th, 2012 17:00

Try using Windows Mobility Center by typing it in the Start box. If you have Dell's version of it, it has a place to turn off the touchpad. If that doesn't work look up touchpad in Windows 7 Help.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2012 18:00

Turning off my touchpad does not yield the desired result.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2012 20:00

This does not work for me. Under value you just type "0?"

1 Message

December 6th, 2012 02:00

Yeah same, I wasn't sure whether to change the hexadecimal or the decimal value. I changed the decimal one but it didnt do anything.

1 Message

March 5th, 2013 11:00

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 3520 with Intel Inside/Core 13.  It does not have the word Elantech in that registry setting.  In fact, nothing shows up on the entire computer under search for this.  I have evil Windows 8 pre-installed on this computer and it has a Dell Touchpad.  It says the driver is Alps, which I also cannot find within this registry.. but I did open up any entry that started with an A, and I couldn't find anything that said, OtherSetting.

I have done all of the fiddling around with the mousepad properties and touch this and touch that and Guard this and that, that I can stand.  Chaged the pointer, the scroll, the shadow... you name it.  Saw this fix of yours and got SO excited, and then, blech.... couldn't find the key.

PLEASE help.  I have had this new computer for about 10 days and all I've been doing is searching for fixes and tweaks.  If this mouse situation doesn't get fixed, this new Dell is going back to the store and I will be motoring over to the Apple store.  I have been using computers since 1979, this is the first time I've ever, ever wanted to seriously (and I do mean seriously) throw this computer and it's Windows 8 in the garbage.

Thank-you for any help whatsoever.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2013 13:00

I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services. It seem to me that Elantech is missing or miss placing somewhere, is there another option? please reply soon

1 Message

October 26th, 2013 05:00

Thank you very much.

1 Message

August 6th, 2014 09:00

i dont have Elantech if anybody knows email me my email adress is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

1 Message

August 20th, 2014 20:00

what do i do palm tracking was replaced w/palm rejection

No Events found!