Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2017 14:00

INSPIRON 15 LAPTOP ERROR MESSAGE: SYSTEM REGISTRY FILE IS MISSING OR HAS ERRORS

HELLO EVERYONE.

I HAVE AN INSPIRON 15 LAPTOP. WHEN I TRY TO BOOT IT UP I GET THE DREADED BLUE SCREEN WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

RECOVERY

YOUR PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED

THE OPERATING SYSTEM COULDN'T BE LOADED BECAUSE THE SYSTEM REGISTRY FILE IS MISSING OR CONTAINS ERRORS.

FILE: \WINDOES\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

ERROR CODE: 0xc0000185

YOU'LL NEED THE RECOVERY TOOLS ON YOUR INSTALLATION MEDIA.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INSTALLATION MEDIA [LIKE A DISC OR USB DEVICE] CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMIN OR PC MANUFACTURER.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS AND WHAT TO DO IN THE MOST BASIC TERMS?  DOES THIS MEAN MY FILES ARE NOT RECOVERABLE?

THE LAPTOP DID NOT COME WITH AN INSTALLATION DISC.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 26th, 2017 06:00

Chances are the hard drive is failing - remove the drive from the system. mount it into a 2.5" external USB case, and attach it to a working system by USB to recover your data.

Then reinstall the drive and run a full diagnostic on it (F12 at powerup). if the drive fails the diagnostic, replace it with a new one (post the full model information if you need a part reference - i.e., Inspiron n5110, 5521, etc.).

Windows 10 can be downloaded from Microsoft. Earlier OS recovery material cannot -- you'll need to contact Dell to purchase recovery media.

No Events found!