Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 1440 won't detect battery

Whenever I power on my PC i get this message:

WARNING: If a Service Tag was just installed, you will need to shut the system down and unplug the AC adapter if present. Re-insert the AC adapter and power on the system to allow for proper functionality.

WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.

This system will be unable to charge the battery.

Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

Everything I've found online has suggested that I need to update BIOS but I can't do that as far as I can tell if the PC won't detect the battery. 

This just started happening a couple weeks ago. I thought the old battery was just bad so I purchased a new one and I'm getting the same result. 

January 8th, 2016 06:00

Hi DMAX1031,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Was there any recent hardware or software changes done after which this message was displayed?

Can you check if you can boot in BIOS and check the battery health and adapter status.

Please private message us the service tag of the system in discussion, so that we can check on the system specification.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 8th, 2016 06:00

:emotion-2:

What is your Dell model number and windows version ? Example:  Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

January 8th, 2016 07:00

I had the same problem as well.  My old battery was totally shot, and I had to press the F1 key to load the computer to start. The system was unable to detect/identify the battery was my error message too.  If I removed the AC adapter, the laptop would instantly power down. You can still use your laptop as long as you leave the power adapter plugged in, and press F1 to load the computer as normal. It is possible that the new battery may be defective, and that's why you keep receiving the same error message.  If you have a warranty on the new battery, have it replaced .  If it is good you will not have this issue as I have found out.

You can still use the laptop, just don't unplug your AC adapter. It would also be wise to update your BIOS, if there is one for your particular model. I have a Dell Inspiron 15. Good Luck,.!!

No Events found!