Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2013 18:00

Inspiron 14Z 5423 will not boot.

Been working on my laptop all weekend and took an hour break came back and when the laptop tried to boot up got stuck on the dell screen. The screen it is stuck on has the dell emblem in the middle and has inspiron under that and a progress bar that is completely empty. In the bottom left corner is has F2 Setup and below that has F12 Boot Options.

I have tried to turn it on and press F2 all that happens is the F2 becomes highlighted but nothing seems to happen. I can do the same for the F12. I have tried booting it while plugged into wall and when it's not doesn't seem to change anything. I have left it on for a while now and every few minutes the screen goes blank and makes a few clicking noises and a few of the lights on the top corner of bottom part of laptop flash. It then just gets stuck in the same frozen screen.

I am desperate for some kind of fix. The laptop has a weeks worth of very important data I need on it. So would really appreciate if anyone has any kind of solution. Please let me know if any other info can provide.

3.3K Posts

January 20th, 2013 18:00

Hi mizab70,

Kindly follow below steps which can resolve the issue:

1. Restart the computer and tap F2 on Dell logo .Disable ISRT in the BIOS setup menu by selecting SATA mode and changing it to AHCI then saving the change and rebooting windows.
  2. Reboot from windows and enter BIOS setup menu again to set SATA mode back to Raid.
  3. Restart Windows again and follow the steps below to Enable Intel Smart Response technology
  4. Launch Intel RST UI from system TrayStep 
  5. Click Accelerate Icon on top of page then click "Disassociate”
  6. Click on select Device under Accelerated device none.
  7. Select HDD and Acceleration mode to "Enhanced mode"
  8. HDD will now be Accelerated again.

Also, Install the Microsoft update from the below mentioned link:

http://bit.ly/TM4KqW

From the above link click on “Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2756872)” 

If the issue persists, run diagnostics. Restart the computer by holding the Fn and Power button on the computer. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

January 20th, 2013 20:00

Nothing happens when I hit F2

3.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi mizab70,

May I know the status of diagnostics?

Kindly run diagnostics on the computer to ensure the hardware is working as designed.

Run  diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding the FN and the power button).

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 11:00

Like I said nothing works. When I start the computer hitting or holding any F1-F12 or FN button nothing happens. I talked to person on the phone monday and supposed to have a tech call me to come fix the computer with the "next-ish day service" Still waiting for that call. 

3.3K Posts

January 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi mizab70,

Kindly let me know the status once the service is done on the computer.

Meanwhile, kindly private message the order number so that I can check for the details.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

February 12th, 2013 06:00

I had the exact same issue with my computer. Dell was prompt in sending a technician to my home to replace the motherboard (no small feat on this computer). Once the motherboard and the memory were replaced the problem remained. The technician then called Dell support and they had him enter a diagnostic mode after removing the hard drive (this mode could not be accessed with the hard drive in place). Upon entering this mode data was returned with all sorts of strange issues it even said we were using the wrong ac adapter along with stating that the battery was at the end of its useful life. Strange for a computer less than 1 year old. It was then recommended that I box it up and send it to a Depot level facility so they could repair it. Two days later I received a box with packing materials and shipping label. I shipped it and it arrived there yesterday. I was called yesterday and told that it was being worked on and that I would receive another call in a few days when it was finished. Although I am not happy that a computer that is less than 1 year old is having to be sent to the manufacturer for repairs, I will say that Dell is handling it in a first class manner. They have been prompt and courteous the entire time and they have communicated well (despite the language barrier of the calls all coming from India). The jury is still out about this affecting my future purchases but I may be willing to cut them some slack because of the good job of customer service they have provided. At least they are standing behind their product.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2013 15:00

Ok I got it back this afternoon. They basically "nuked" it. They replaced the mother board the hard drive the memory the fan and probably anything else they could think of. It seems to have worked but it is a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> having to reinstall everything. I will say that Dell did handle the whole situation in a good way.

6 Posts

April 27th, 2013 22:00

Hi Rajesh/mizab70

Facing  exactly same issue and called the dell support system. they will send some technician along with hard disc and motherboard,

Just worried about my data that is there in my laptop,

could you please tell me, how can I take my backup?

regards,

Sanricha

3 Posts

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Data on your laptop is gone. I would suggest next time around using a cloud based backup solution such as Carbonite or Mozy or any other of them. I also keep a local backup on my NAS server in my network so I have a local backup and a backup that is off site. This is the only way to truly ensure your data is backed up.

John,

5 Posts

July 25th, 2015 09:00

Hi Rajesh

I have exactly same issue described early.

Could you share your advices here, not only in private discussion. I sure, what its very useful for all users with same issue.

No Events found!