Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2013 19:00

Inspiron 14r (5420) won't boot up. (no dell logo)

Hi guys, please help me with my problem.. 

My laptop suddenly won't turn on.. when i pressed on, the lights are all on, but then screen got no response at all.. no dell logo. Not even light.. but i already tested the screen to see if there any problem with it by pressing D+on button, it passes the test. The screen seems to be ok.. then i tried to pull the RAM, put it back, turn on, same problem still happened.. please help me out. Thanks.

803 Posts

Hi apam,

Let's try few troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

Drain the flea power (shutdown system, remove battery and unplug adapter. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. That will discharge the residual electricity from the system board)

Remove the memory module/s and push the power button to start. Check if the mother board beeps

This could also be an issue with the video card. If possible please connect an external desktop monitor and switch the display by pressing Fn and F8. This will help us isolate if the issue is with video card.

Based on the results we can troubleshoot further.

5 Posts

Hi thanks for replying.. 

I tired draining the flea power.. then remove thr memory to see any beeps.. no beeps sound..

As for the video card issue, i don't have any external monitor.. 

5 Posts

There is no dell logo, so i can't make it into diagnostic mode. How to check for beep sound or flashing lock lights? I dont get you on that.

803 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 20:00

You're welcome. Please feel free to reach out for any issues you may have. We'll be glad to assist.

803 Posts

Thank you for the reply.

This is most likely an issue with the motherboard because if you remove the memory modules and start the system, it should beep. It would be advisable to connect an external monitor to isolate the video card but if the mother board is being replaced it also means the video card will be replaced as it's integrated onto the system board. I hope the system is in warranty so that I can help you with the replacement.

5 Posts

Thank you for the reply.

This is most likely an issue with the motherboard because if you remove the memory modules and start the system, it should beep. It would be advisable to connect an external monitor to isolate the video card but if the mother board is being replaced it also means the video card will be replaced as it's integrated onto the system board. I hope the system is in warranty so that I can help you with the replacement.

i see.. i really dont have any monitor.. so sorry. my laptop is still in warranty and i already called dell support just now, someone will come over to my place for on-site warranty tomorrow... thanks a lot for your help.. 

5 Posts

Hi apam,

Let's try few troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

Drain the flea power (shutdown system, remove battery and unplug adapter. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. That will discharge the residual electricity from the system board)

Remove the memory module/s and push the power button to start. Check if the mother board beeps

This could also be an issue with the video card. If possible please connect an external desktop monitor and switch the display by pressing Fn and F8. This will help us isolate if the issue is with video card.

Based on the results we can troubleshoot further.

Hi thanks for replying.. 

I tired draining the flea power.. then remove thr memory to see any beeps.. no beeps sound..

As for the video card issue, i don't have any external monitor.. 

1 Message

December 2nd, 2013 00:00

I bought my DELL inspiron 5420 laptop from US 6month back.

I played a game, Suddenly my monitor display has gone and it was producing some beep sound.. 

I was not able to boot up again..

I tried switch off and try on again.. tried many times.. It was producing only a beep sound.. I was not able to boot up... 

I'm worried.. How can I repair my new laptop.. Now, I'm in India.. I need to fix this problem.. Please give me some light on this.. Is there any DLL show room where they provide free service @Chennai, India..

Really disappointed.. It was new laptop.. But having this problem.. I thought DELL is good.. But, it make me to sad... I need you guys support to address this issue with fee of cost..

:emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:  :emotion-6:

18 Posts

June 25th, 2014 22:00

Hi Satya!

I have the problem for my Inspiron 14R 5420.The system don't start for the first time I press the power button.The LED in the power button lights up and nothing displays on the screen.Even the LED on the caps lock key don't function.Then I have to press the power button again to shut it down and repeat the process.After some of  these ON-OFF cycles system starts suddenly.But when the system starts,it behaves perfectly normal and even passed all the tests(with ePSA diagnostics).

I tried draining the residual power  by pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds(after removing the battery and charger).It worked for one time,the system started normally.Now even that process is not working.

Please help me solve this.

September 1st, 2014 03:00

Hi,

Are you solved your problem ?? my 14R 5420 are exactly the same problem.

I tried to use the diagnostics system typing fn (some forums commendations) but this procedure it´s complicated because this process needs restart the notebook, and I tried and happened problems during these configurations because this. Some people recommended update the bios, but this process needs to restart the system too, so if I will try this it's possible corrupt the bios configs.

I think this problem is a hardware problem, but I have no idea which part ... my warranty it's over , and I use my dell in my work, so all days I try 1, 2, 3 , 4 times  on, off, on , off ....on ...When on , I work 8 -10 hours without problems, this problem started 2 weeks ago.

I tested memory, card video, battery bios, I did all complete diagnostics in "my dell" and not found the solution. 

18 Posts

September 1st, 2014 06:00

Hello,

I think the only solution is to update(or re-install) the BIOS. I had the problem to update the BIOS. It was showing an error. I think your laptop starts after updating the BIOS. If you too get an error while updating, consult nearby technician. He can update it using a BIOS writer.

September 1st, 2014 16:00

I tried to update my BIOS driver and but appears the error:

Error 216 - Failed to read BIOS from ROM!STATUS =1604

Some suggestion ??

18 Posts

September 1st, 2014 22:00

Hi!

Consult a technician and ask him to update the BIOS. 

January 7th, 2015 23:00

sir 

my  5420 laptop is powering up but no dell logo i drained the residual charge start pressing D it is also ok removed RAM 2 no.s beeps given than again inserted RAM but nothing happen same position power led on but no display . please help

January 8th, 2015 05:00

I suspect be a problem in BGA chip but to resolve the problem is expensive here in Brazil ... I don´t lucky with Dell notebooks ... Now I prefer buy other notebook brand.

No Events found!