Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2015 15:00

Inspiron 15 3520 & Latitude E5520 screen swap?

Hello Everyone!

I have an Inspiron 15 3520 with a 1366 x 768 resolution

A friend of mine has a Latitude E5520 with a 1920 x 1080 resolution.  

Both have are 15.6 and both seem to have the same connector according to multiple sites that sell replacement panels.

Would putting a 1080p panel in my 3520 work?  I don't see why it wouldn't. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 8th, 2015 16:00

It looks like the two systems share panels.  If you're upgrading the resolution, you will also need a new wiring harness:

< >

(though the connectors are the same, the wiring loom for the high resolution screen has more conductors - if you use the existing wiring harness, you'll see a fuzzy, partial image.

The wiring loom is NOT cross compatible with the Latitude system.

September 13th, 2017 20:00

I was never able to find a harness that matched the mother board that is a HD resolution compatible.  The harness EJB63 mentioned doesn't fit the 3520 motherboard.  I web chatted with some dell parts people trying to find out if the connector indeed could output the signal to run HD, the consensus was that it does but there is no known cable that exists.  If there is a way to take the connector from the oem display and spice the dual layer lvds cable into it may be possible. I gave up because I do not have those skills.  Let me know what you find out I have an hd panel id still like to put in this bad boy!

October 8th, 2015 17:00

Most excellent response time EJN63!

alright i will order the panel and the cable.

Ive had this puppy apart 10 times already whats one more time XD.

8 Posts

September 13th, 2017 19:00

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had actually done this swap and if it was successful?

I have a 3520 myself, and I've already been able to install a better wifi card and CPU (an i5-3380M) than Dell ever shipped it with, and is it too much to ask to successfully put a 900p or 1080p display in it as well?

8 Posts

September 14th, 2017 00:00

Thanks for the response. I was contemplating what to do myself. I got this 3520 for next to nothing; it's practically new and still had the original Celeron CPU, which I swapped out for a 3380M I had lying around not doing anything. It would be interesting to see if maybe there's a non-Dell dual-layer cable out there that fits on both ends, or if maybe the OEM cable can at least handle a 900p display (B156RW01 v3 panels from the 5520 are cheap on the ground). Also need to see if the cable from a 1545 will work; I know people have swapped in a 900p display in a 1545 before.

Going to have to do some research myself, and if I find out something I'll post it here.

No Events found!