Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2017 15:00

Inspiron 15 Gaming 7566 - FPS Drop when external monitor is connected

Hey!

BIOS and NVIDIA Graphics Driver are up-to-date, but when I connect an external Monitor (also with 1080p resolution), I get a massive frame-drop in e.g. CS:GO. When there is no monitor connected I get~ between 100 and 150 FPS and with a monitor connected (duplication of display or monitor only) I only have about 30-60 FPS.

Power Options are completely on 100% and High Performance.

Is this a known issue?

Kaeptn-G.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 13th, 2017 09:00

Kaeptn-G,

The laptop HDMI out port is being controlled by the IntelHD Graphics 530, NOT the Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M.You need to see if you can use Nvidia Optimus to force the Nvidia GPU

Configuring Nvidia Optimus

Now, thats for Alienware, but the instructions will apply to you, If Optimus is available.
"Manually Configure Optimus"
Set the discrete card as the preferred graphics processor: 
Right Click on your desktop 
Click NVIDIA Control Panel 
Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu 
Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab 
Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list

• 

16.7K Posts

October 13th, 2017 07:00

Kaeptn-G,

Are you playing the game on the external monitor  as Extended? Are you moving the complete Windows desktop to the monitor  (Clone) and then closing the laptop lid?

4 Posts

October 13th, 2017 08:00

Hi Jesse,

I'm only playing with lid closed but I also tried having the lid open (cloned) - I thought maybe there is a change. But the FPS drop stays the same.

Thanks for your fast response.

Kaeptn-G.

4 Posts

October 13th, 2017 12:00

Thank you! Even when I was assigning NVIDIA to the game directly this was not helping, but I never tried setting the NVIDIA Graphics as a default. This seems to work now, Thank you again for the fast response!

Kaeptn-G.

No Events found!