Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2009 08:00

Inspiron 1501 Laptop. Restore Factory Settings

I have tried hitting the F11 button at start up but I dont get the advanced settings - restore factory settings options. The only thing I can think why I dont get this message is because I removed Norton and replaced it with Mcafee. I read somewhere that the system restore is activated by the Norton software. Anyway my daughters laptop is running very slow and I would very much like to restore it to its original factory settings. Can anyone help with a solution please.

Many thanks

Graeme

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 9th, 2009 12:00

Try Ctrl + F11.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2009 04:00

Thank you for replying. I should have said I hit the Ctrl as well as the F11 keys which did not work which is why I asked for help! Any suggestions.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 10th, 2009 04:00

If the system has Vista, the key to press is F8.  If that doesn't work, you'll need to do a manual installation of Windows using your Windows CD or DVD.

If you don't have one of these, see

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 10th, 2009 05:00

I do not believe that removing Norton utilities would have affected PC Restore (on models on which Vista was facrory installed it is called Factory Image Restore but I don't think the 1501 's had Vista pre-installed). PC Restore is an image of the system that resides in a hidden partition on the hard drive. That partition will be missing if

> the partition has ever been reformatted

> the hard drive was replaced with a new one.

> the partition was manually removed by performing the following procedure as explained in the Owner's Manual:

1 Log on to the computer as a local administrator.
2 In Windows Explorer, go to c:\dell\utilities\DSR.
3 Double-click the filename DSRIRRemv2.exe.

If the partition for PC Restore does not exist on your computer’s hard drive, a message appears stating that the partition was not found. In that case it is gone and after it is gone it cannot be recreated.

No Events found!