Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

25 Posts

January 4th, 2008 12:00

Inspiron 1520 TouchPad Troubles :\ Please Help!

I have an Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium.  I know this sounds crazy, but if my laptop is left on for more than 5 hours my touchpad goes beserk!  I have minimal control over it, and when I try to close out of different windows it will get stuck between minimizing & maximizing them.  If i minimize a window and try to bring it back up from the task bar, it will get stuck trying to do both maximize & minimize intermittenly.  Does anyone know of a possible solution for this? Or should I just contact Dell and have the laptop replaced. I have owned it for about 3 weeks now.

Thanks for any help you might provide,

Rick

9 Posts

August 8th, 2009 08:00

Jinx1 , are you still using your touch pad with the card over it, or do you use and external mouse ?

11 Posts

August 8th, 2009 11:00

I use an exterior USB mouse.  I am not very good at using the touchpad.  Also, when I try to use the touchpad only it acts up.  It's just easier to use the USB mouse.

1 Message

November 9th, 2009 22:00

I have this same problem with my Vostro since day one and I've infact stop using touchpad (I am using external mouse). I will PM my service tag and address to you.

Touchpad works fine when AC adaptor not connected. But as soon as AC adaptor plugged-in, touchpad becomes useless and I have to use external mouse instead :)

Thanks,
Bhavesh Jani

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 10:00

I have a machine with the same issue, a Vostro 1520.  I have tried a spare power supply, and it seems to be okay.  I see there is a place to appeal for a replacement power supply...

4 Posts

February 4th, 2010 06:00

Bill,

Is this issue still open, so to speak?  I've got a Vostro 1520 that has a psychotic touchpad, as described here.  Using a different power supply seems to have taken care of the issue.  But the power supply is a loaner, and what I would like to do is swap it out, if that is a possibility.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2010 07:00

I also have had this problem with my Vostro 1500 for years and have just put up with it because I was unsuccessful in finding any real

explanation until i stumbled on this thread today. I always thought it was the touchpad and tried unsucessfully playing around with

mouse drivers etc. The computer still drives me bananas, with the cursor suddenly skipping around to some other area of the screen,

often writing in parts of documents im working on or deleting whole sections, as well as web pages suddenly skipping back to a

previous page etc

The UPC on the adapter Im currently using is CN0XD757 48661 77H E5XU REV A03

I had 2 adapters, one from a previous Dell Inspiron laptop which Ive since given away. They both looked alike so not sure which on was which.

I didn't see a field in the forum profile in which to put my service tag, but this forum nick is associated with my "MY DELL" account which

does have it.

February 17th, 2011 17:00

I am the (mostly) proud owner of a Dell Inspiron E1505, and I too, am a victim of the erratic touchpad cursor, while plugged in to my Dell PA-10, Flextronics manufactured power adapter, and, of course, when I unplug my laptop and run it on battery power, the touchpad acts normal.

I have been suffering through this problem for about two years now, ever since my original Dell power adapter died, and I purchased this replacement from Dell. I have spoken to Dell tech support a few times regarding this problem, and all I'm ever told is: "Update your touchpad driver", and "You should reinstall Windows."

Well, both my E1505, and my replacement adapter are both out of warranty, and I no longer have the "benefit" of Dell support, but I never stop researching this problem, and thus, yesterday I found this thread, and; EUREKA!!! I KNEW IT WASN'T THE DRIVER!!! 

So, DELL-Bill B, if you are still monitoring this thread, I would absolutely LOVE to receive one of those gloriously unaffected 90watt power adapters for my E1505. My Service Tag is in my Dell Community Profile. Thanks!

P.S. AC Adapter: Dell PA-10, Model: FA90PS0-00 REV: A00, UPC: CN-0GX808-73245-7C5-5192  REV A00

1 Message

May 4th, 2011 21:00

Hi Timothy

Did you ever get a response from DELL-Bill B ? I'm having the same issue reported in this forum and I'm looking for a replacement for the AC Adapter.

Thanks.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2011 17:00

I am also having this issue on my Vostro 1500.  I hadn't noticed since I usually use a wireless mouse.  I originally thought it was a driver issue and reinstalled multiple times.  I finally decided to research and found this thread.  I also have a Flextronic adapter FA90PS0-00 and VP-09500025-000 REV: A00 upc CN-0GX808-73245-817-3669  REV A00.  I have tested the theory and no cursor issue on battery but charging it does.  

1 Message

November 28th, 2011 23:00

Anyone get a response from Dell on this?  I realize its been a few years, but I have one of the bad adapters and would like to get it replaced.

4 Posts

December 1st, 2011 06:00

Just order a replacement adapter online, maybe $15 with the shipping.  Amazon and other similar places have them, sometimes with the Dell brand, sometimes not.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  DO NOT pay for that.  Google your model and "power supply".  Trying to get Dell to replace it is probably pointless, and will cost you more than ordering the $15 adapter if your time is worth anything at all.  I haven't had the problem since I replaced the power supply, couple of years now.

1 Message

July 4th, 2013 22:00

I am having trouble with a refurbished Dell Inspiron 1420.  The cursor the lists in the menus and travels so fast you can't stop it not even with the error keys up down end or home.  It only slows them down a bit...but then when its not doing that everything on the left of the page goes far right so you can't read what is printed ...like the mail list or other things listed or on the main area of the web site you are on.   The cursor seems to have a mind of its own...rough cursor!!!  out of control....and it come after  you have the computer on for a few hours.   I like the computer....and its nice program Windows 7 Ultimate but really

No Events found!