Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 9th, 2008 21:00

Inspiron 1520 and WiFi drivers + soft, and Modem port drivers?

Hello!

I ordered some time ago an Inspiron 1520 which has the following components:

Core 2 Duo T8100

nV 8600m GT

2gb DDR2

The thing is i also got some CD/DVDs (webcam drivers + touchpad) and some other DVD which says it has drivers, but it seems like it didn't work out for WinXP, as it said there's no drivers for this OS.

So, i downloaded some drivers from Dell Support with my other box and put them on a stick from where i could install the basic driver for Ethernet. Well, actually i don't know what Ethernet i have in my laptop, but i downloaded Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller and Internet is working flawlessly. 

I don't really know which or what to download to get WiFi working from here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

As well what driver i must get to get Modem port working? I tried to connect it, but it doesn't do anything. I'm using Network port for connecting cable through my Modem.

Thanks in advance,

dude

28K Posts

August 9th, 2008 21:00

Did you install the drivers in the correct order?  YOU ABSOULTELY MUST intall the Notebook System Software and the Chipset drivers before even attempting to install any other device drivers.    Before you can download drivers for your wierelss adapter you need to know exactly which wireless network adapter is physically present.  What did you order with the machine?

Steve

August 9th, 2008 22:00

I think it's some Baltic set, so the retailer as well as i don't know the exact parameters..

it was written like this:

DELL Inspiron 1520 GREEN, 15.4 WXGA+ (1440x900), Core2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz/3MB/FSB800, GF 8600M GT 256MB, 2x1024MB DDR2-667, SATA 160GB 5400rpm, 8X DVD-/+RW, WLAN 802.11g, Bluetooth, DOS, 4xUSB2.0/1394/S-Video/SPDIF/Card reader/Camera 2.0mp/6 cell batt/

and i didn't get any manual with my box but some warranty papers:

Regulary Notices

Product Information Guide (says only things about warranty and safe usage)

GNU General Public License (+ FreeDOS CD)

and i got some CD/DVDs:

DELL Drivers and Utilities (no drivers for XP as that is the OS i'm using)

FreeDOS Operating System Install CD and Source Code (doh..)

Drivers and Utilities, Already Installed On Your Computer (It only contains Webcam drivers)

The first thing i did was flashing the BIOS to the latest revision, then i downloaded some Broadcam Ethernet drivers from the Dell Support which actually made the internet connectable.

In Device Manager under Other devices there are many unknown devices to the OS:

Base System Device

Base System Device

BCM2045

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus (i downloaded SigmaTel High Def drivers and sound's working, but i'm suspecting the Intel High Def drivers would've been the correct one)

Network Controller

SM Bus Controller

I also have EVEREST installed on my laptop, so i can give you some report if you want, the full report is almost a 1mb and is hard to search for the needed information.

EDIT: i can specify my Chipset: 

North Bridge: Intel Crestline-PM PM965

South Bridge: Intel 82801HBM ICH8-DO

Message Edited by supafreeland on 08-10-2008 02:43 AM

August 9th, 2008 23:00

I downloaded both drivers under Chips tabs and some things are gone in Device Manager, but these are left with question mark:

BCM2045

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Network Controller

SM Bus Controller

I also did that Tag thing. unfortunately under "Current System Configuration" tab it's just saying "Downloading/verifying the Dell System Profiler plug-in" and doesn't do anything; when clicking on a submenu, IE says "Error on page", but under "Original System Configuration" tab it says following:

1520 N-SERIES CORE 2 DUO T8100 2.10GHZ, 8

15,4" WIDESCREEN WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT DI
SPRING GREEN COLOUR WITH MICROSATIN FINI

EURO SHIP ACCESSORIES - POWER CORD
ENGLISH DOCUMENTATION INSPIRON 1520

N-SERIES RESOURCE DVD INSPIRON 1520

MEMORY DUAL-CHANNEL 2048MB (2X1024) 667M

160GB (5, 400RPM) SATA HAD DRIVE
FIXED INTERNAL 8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE - N-SE
AC ADAPTER 90W
PRIMARY 6-CELL 56WHR LI-ION BATTERY

NOT INCLUDED CARRY CASE
NVIDIA? GEFORCE GO 8600M GT WITH 256MB D
UK MODEM CABLE AND ADAPTER INTERNAL V.92

EUROPEAN - DELL TRUEMOBILE 355 INTERNAL
WIRELESS DELL 1395 (802.B/G) MINI CARD F
US/INTERNATIONAL INTERNAL KEYBOARD (QWER)
FREE DOS CD DROP IN THE BOX
1Y PARTS ONLY WARRANTY

DISTRIBUTOR UPG TO 3Y PARTS ONLY WARRANT
BASE WARRANTY

INSPIRON ORDER - EDB

EDB ONLY INFO SKU - 1520

CONSOLIDATION FEE
EX-WORKS

28K Posts

August 9th, 2008 23:00

It is clear that you did not install the chipset drivers before trying to install other devices.  All Windows XP compatible drivers for your system can be found at:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

You need to install both files under Chipset.   You will need to know if you have an Intel wireless adpater or a Dell wireless adapter before you download the correct drivers.  You may be able to figure out what was shipped with your computer if you go to the following site, enter your Service Tag number, then click on the Original Configuration tab.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Steve

28K Posts

August 10th, 2008 01:00

Installing the Intel Mobil Chipset driver should have installed the driver for the SM Bus Controller, and this driver should have been one of the first installed. 

You have a Dell 1395 Wireless network adapter.  The drivers for that are listed under Network, but they won't properly install unless the chipset driver was installed first.

You need to install the Conexant driver (under Communications) for your modem.

You also need to install the Sigmatel driver uner Audio.  Again, none of these drivers will properly install unless the Intel Chipset Driver was installed before even attempting to install other device drivers.

Steve

August 10th, 2008 08:00

thanks for your help!

i suppose i'm gonna go for a Format then..

btw, which WiFi soft should i get? The one which detects free public wifi spots, for example.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

August 10th, 2008 11:00

Any "wifi soft", as you put it, will work with free wifi hotspots.

August 10th, 2008 12:00

Okay!

But can you recommend me some good one which is effective, minimalist (dont hug resource)?

thanks

28K Posts

August 10th, 2008 14:00

I prefer the Windows built-in wireless utility.  It is sleek, non-obtrusive, and works well.

Steve

1 Message

August 11th, 2008 03:00

i have a question

do u also get the slowness when u login to the computer for like 3 min then everything is ok ??

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 23:00

if you have windows vista yes its normal
No Events found!