Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2009 10:00

Inspiron 1545 Audio Driver with XP

I set up a second hard drive with Windows XP for my new 1545. I used all the drivers from this site. 

When I finished, I discovered that the microphone doesn't work (internal or plug in) though it works fine with Vista. One tech person said the machine isn't designed for XP but it seems quite strange Dell would provide drivers for XP if that were the case. On the Control Panel/Sounds/Voice tab the only option on the drop-down is "IDT Audio".

Anyone have any  ideas?

Thanks

1 Message

July 21st, 2010 11:00

Took me a while but I got it - Use this Audio Driver link for XP - the link for XP on the dell site leads to Win7 driver

TODD

April 16th, 2011 02:00

Hi this is shekar.I have changed Os vista to XP on dell 1545 .But the audio and video drivers are not installing.Its says this is not the right software for this system.Plz help regarding this which driver i need to download for xp service pack 2 on dell 1545.though already tried installing R264250 is their any other driver for this plz reply me as soon as possible,

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 16th, 2011 06:00

The current IDT driver (R264250) will not install in XP -- it is the wrong driver even though it is the one that Dell says is for XP. Use the the IDT R215959. It is an older version for the 1545 but it is the correct one for XP. There is a link to it earlier in this thread.(Note: to install an older version you should first delete from the hard drive the files of any newer versions.)

Another thing: after you install an operating system you should follow the order of installation, particularly in XP you should install the Dell System Software and then the Intel Chipset software before any of the drivers.

Edit (12-7-11) After I wrote the above Dell changed the current IDT XP driver to now be R203425. The R215959 is no longer available for downloading.

1 Message

December 7th, 2011 03:00

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 on Vista. Recently I started getting a blue screen after my laptop turned itself off "to prevent further damage". I realised this was probably because I hadn't installed any updates in a very long time. So, I went on the Dell website and downloaded all of the available drivers for my laptop (after putting in my service tag so I assumed it was tailored to me personally) and the audio one (R312650) kept getting half way through and crashing. Since then I have had loads of problems with my sound and now even when I go into Control Panel and click Sound it doesn't even show me that I have a speaker on my laptop, only shows me "Line 1 Live! Cam Virtual", so I can't even reset the sound.

As you can maybe tell I'm not the most technological of people but if anyone can help I would be so grateful!! Thank you!

4 Posts

December 7th, 2011 04:00

There are several different audio drivers available for the 1545 depending on the sound card installed.

I would try a different driver.

Good Luck!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 7th, 2011 05:00

There are several different audio drivers available for the 1545 depending on the sound card installed.

Hello NBEHM. Did you get the problem with your mic fixed?

There aren't actually different sound cards installed on different 1545's. They all have the same IDT audio chipset on the motherboard. There are different drivers but they are dependent on the operating system that one is running.There is one version for XP and a different version for Vista/7. Within those subsets there are older versions available also.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 7th, 2011 05:00

Recently I started getting a blue screen after my laptop turned itself off "to prevent further damage". I realised this was probably because I hadn't installed any updates in a very long time.

Hello. I have never heard that not installing updates could cause any damage. I am from the old school that believes in not performing unnecessary updates and to let other people be the guinea pigs who experiment with unknown software. But interestingly your error message said "further damage", implying that there is already some king of damage, but I don't know what damage the message refers to.

Anyway, to get to your question, the IDT R312650 is the correct driver to install on an Inspiron 1545 with Vista. However it is a fairly new version and might have some problems that I have not yet heard about. If you would like to try an older version of the driver, go to the R312650 page and expand "Other Versions". Below are some other suggestions.

> You could try using system Restore to return to your previous driver ( type "System Restore" into the Start menu search box, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore and look for a restore point from before the change).

> You could try using the HD audio driver in Vista instead of an IDT HD audio driver. To do that, you need to delete from the hard drive all IDT driver folders that have been previously downloaded or installed. Start with the R312650 driver. Go to c:\dell\drivers\R312650 and delete the whole folder. If the folder is not there that means that it was not unzipped after downloading or unzipped to the wrong location.

Next look for any other IDT driver folders. Expand all of the folders and subfolders in c:\dell\drivers. Delete all folders that have a subfolder named "WDM". Those will be the audio driver folders and it is safe to delete them. If they are not deleted Windows will not install its own audio driver.(You can undo this process by re-downloading an IDT driver an installing it).

When all audio driver folders have been deleted, reboot the laptop. Vista will not find any IDT driver files and so will install its own basic audio driver.

> If there is no audio after installing the basic driver, run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to determine if the audio hardware has failed, in case that is the damage referred to by the error message.

> If by any chance you tried to install some software called Creative Labs X-Fi MB, in certain circumstances that could cause your audio to cease functioning. One of the symptoms would be if the Windows Audio Service will not run. To check, go to Start/Run and type "services.msc" then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running. If it isn't, double click on it and change the Startup type to Automatic, then click Start, Apply, and OK.

November 6th, 2012 03:00

Hi, finally sorted it, I found a link that had the correct driver. (Well a driver that worked with my machine)

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

It installed and it works....

More effort than its worth.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 6th, 2012 04:00

Sorry that you had to search for it. It seems to be the same one that is on the 1545 Drivers & Downloads page in the Audio category --  the 2nd of the two that are listed there.

The other newer one in that category is the same one that Dell had up last year that was wrong for XP.  Looks like they have put it back up with a new date on it. Dell has been changing the urls for the drivers this year and have managed to make a real mess of it so far.

Sorry I did not notice it last night. I had to look at my notes this morning while my brain is still fresh and compare version and file numbers to catch it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 18th, 2013 15:00

Hello RD Holland. Not sure how to respond. In the tags field you put the Service Tag number of an Inspiron 1000 model. Is that your model? You also put in that you have "No Sound" and "no audio" and "audio not working". For that kind of problem see the "No Audio" FAQ.

1 Message

April 18th, 2013 15:00

I set up a second hard drive with Windows XP for my new 1545. I used all the drivers from this site. 

When I finished, I discovered that the microphone doesn't work (internal or plug in) though it works fine with Vista. One tech person said the machine isn't designed for XP but it seems quite strange Dell would provide drivers for XP if that were the case. On the Control Panel/Sounds/Voice tab the only option on the drop-down is "IDT Audio".

Anyone have any  ideas?

Thanks

1 Message

April 23rd, 2013 11:00

CRC, Tuesday, 04/23/2013 

Morning. I've an INSP1440, and the sound not function more since september 2012. Please, ¿What can i do?

¡Gods whellng!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 14:00

the sound not function more since september 2012.

Hello. If you have no audio out of the speakers and also no audio through headphones (or external speakers plugged into the headphone jack socket) see the "No Audio" FAQ.

If you have any more questions after reading the FAQ, please start a new thread because your question is off-topic in this thread. Thanks.

August 3rd, 2014 06:00

driver r215959 works perfectly i am using

download it from 4shared

link is below

http://www.4shared.com/rar/dVhdKLCu/R215959.htm?locale=en

August 3rd, 2014 06:00

r215959 works perfectly for xp in dell 1545, download frm 4shared 

or from link below

http://www.4shared.com/rar/dVhdKLCu/R215959.htm?locale=en

No Events found!