Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 05:00

Inspiron 1545/Windows 7 -- how do I disable the (ultra-sensitive) touch pad?

I cannot use the keyboard, because the touch pad will respond if my hands even get near it, shooting the cursor off in random directions.

I have looked for advice on disabling the touch pad when the mouse is attached, but they all say "Go to Control Panel and find the TouchPad tab and click on disable".... but in my system there is nothing in Control Panel about the touchpad.

HELP!!!

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 06:00

Did you check the Mouse section of control panel? That is where the touchpad is listed. Do you have Dell Quickset installed? Try typing Windows Mobility Center in the Start Box and see if Dell's version of mobility center comes up. You can adjust or turn off the touchpad there.

3.8K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 07:00

Hi Doug1943,

Welcome to the Community. As suggested by Mary it is under mouse in control panel. Click on start, control panel, mouse, wait for the Dell touchpad image to appear, and click on the image, that should bring you to Pointing devices, click on the mouse image, and at the bottom check the box Disable Touchpad & Pointstick when USB mouse present.

If you do not get this option, then you will need to install the touchpad drivers. Log on to support.dell.com. click on drivers and downloads, enter your service tag to proceed to drivers, under input you should find the touchpad driver, download/install and restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 13:00

Royan: thank you for replying.   There is no touchpad image in the mouse section of control panel.  So I have to install the touchpad drivers.  But .... what is my "service tag"????

Thanks.

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 13:00

Mary G: Thank you so much for answering.

The touchpad is not listed in the mobility center.

In the Mouse section of Control Panel, there are two mice listed: One is the "HID mouse" and the other is the "PS/2 Mouse". I see options to disable them, but it's not clear which one, if either, is actually the touchpad.

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 04:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the same problem. My solution ended up as:-

Cover the keypad with 2 cotton wool pads - cover that with some sort of plastic - seal the edges with insulation tape.

It works perfectly for me.

If I or someone else wants to revert to the crummy touchpad, just pull off the tape.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2011 11:00

Please, please, please .... doesn't ANYONE know what is wrong with my Dell Inspiron? There are no references at all to touchpads in any part of Control Centre.

It's not usable as it stands ... I can't type anything without stopping every ten or fiteen seconds to move the cursor back to where it should be.

How can Dell sell something like this?????????? I've always bought Dells -- for the last twenty years -- because they are reliable. But here is a problem, and there seems to be no solution -- except the cotton pad and tape solution, which I suppose would make a nice photo (for a competitor). But there must be some way to disable to touchpad.

Is the touchpad shown as one of the two mice in Control Panel? One is PS/2 and one is HID, whatever that is. Should I try disabling one of those????

HELP!!!!

934 Posts

November 26th, 2011 15:00

Your touchpad should work fine even if you do not install Dell drivers.Installing the driver gives you additional control over the touchpad like adjusting sensivity etc. - you might want to install the driver and see if it fixes the problem.....

In devicemanager under section "mice and other pointing devices" you should have an entry "Dell touchpad"

To find out if you have a hardware or software problem you have 2 options:

Option1:

1.Press F2 at power up which will open the BIOS menu which is completely independent of any OS

2.Try moving the cursor with the touchpad - if you can do that without problems then the hardware should be ok and it is a problem with Windows

Option 2:

Test the touchpad with Dell Diagnostics

934 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 09:00

You need to install Dell's touchpad driver.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You need the Quickset Utility. Download it at Dell here: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

2 Posts

I have 3 Inspiron 1545 laptop.  They came with Vista Home.  With the original OS I was able to disable the TouchPad when I hooked up a USB Mouse.  4 weeks ago I wiped the OS and Installed Windows 7 Pro.   Since them have not been able to disable the TouchPad wan a USB mouse is hooped up.  I have checked Control Panel.   There is nothing at the root of Control Panel about Mouse or TouchPad.    I looked  Under "Windows Mobility Center" - nothing about mouse or TouchPad.  I also looked at 'Devices and Printers' - I found "Mouse" but ther is nothind under it concerning TouchPad

934 Posts

Hmmm - that's strange - I have an inspiron 1545/Win7 and my touchpad can only be disabled if Dell's touchpad driver is installed.The Quickset utility doesn't offer any option at all to control the touchpad or mouse - at least on my machine.

March 31st, 2012 04:00

Nope! same problem. I have all the drivers. Uninstalled and re-installed them... tried them one at a time and just for kicks, tried having all installed at once... Nothing.. no mention of a touchpad anywhere. It's like it doesn't exist... Re-installed Win7... Nothing..

I'm begining to think this is not possible to switch it off on the Dell inspiron 1545.. which is ridiculous.. no point in a huge keyboard if you can't use it because the touchpad wont turn off... grrrr!

I'm so pissed I'm taking mine to a field along with some bats and golf clubs! POS (c: after that, I'm buying a Mac on the way home.. I know it's $2500 but it's worth not having the headache.. ..I mean, what's not gonna be compatible next? It's like playing jenga (c:

Your touchpad should work fine even if you do not install Dell drivers.Installing the driver gives you additional control over the touchpad like adjusting sensivity etc. - you might want to install the driver and see if it fixes the problem.....

In devicemanager under section "mice and other pointing devices" you should have an entry "Dell touchpad"

To find out if you have a hardware or software problem you have 2 options:

Option1:

1.Press F2 at power up which will open the BIOS menu which is completely independent of any OS

2.Try moving the cursor with the touchpad - if you can do that without problems then the hardware should be ok and it is a problem with Windows

Option 2:

Test the touchpad with Dell Diagnostics

that's all very well, but I think what we're trying to figure out here, is how to turn the touchpad off.? and no it isnt in all the obvious places listed in the many other posts in this thread. drivers are fine. still no reference to the touchpad anywhere..? Is this an impossible task on the Dell inspiron 1545?.. I'm beginning to think so. )c: time to trade in for a  Mac I think.

934 Posts

As I already mentioned in a previous post I do have an Inspiron 1545 and I have NO trouble at all with my touchpad

It is possible to enable or disable the touchpad via Dell's touchpad driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ie/en/iedhs1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E9s8bslYkE

934 Posts

March 31st, 2012 10:00

I feel sorry for wasting your time and I sincerely hope that your problems will be fixed soon.

No Events found!