Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 15R N5110 Possible Battery Problem

I have had my Inspiron 15R N5110 for just under 2 years now but lately, quite often when moved even slightly my laptop just shuts down immediately, it doesn't matter whether I have much running or not. I've looked through Event Viewer for the periods when it's cut off but there is no errors or messages related to the shutdown. After each time it shuts down this way, the laptop will not power on again until I remove the battery, unplug and replug the charger cable and turn it on, then insert the battery again once the laptop is running. If I don't follow this process then it just won't turn on again, even if left for an hour. Is my battery going faulty or is it something else? I should mention that the battery charges fine and that during the shutdowns, the charger cable is still plugged into the laptop.

1.5K Posts

July 15th, 2013 19:00

Hi spectre289,

It seems that this is a hardware issue, occurring due to a loose connection for power button assembly. You may check all the connections are proper. Please refer to the system Owner’s Manual, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/11R8yLX.

If the system is covered under warranty, you may provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and we will take it from there.

If the system is not covered under warranty and you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares at 1-800-372-3355 or you may contact a local technician.

Please feel free to reply for any further queries. I will be glad to assist you.

1.5K Posts

June 26th, 2013 12:00

Hi spectre289,

You may drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

Also, you can check the battery health from the ‘Dell Battery Meter’. The Battery Meter is used to check the status, life and health of the battery. To launch the Battery Meter:

• Click ‘Start’
  • Click ‘Control Panel’
  • Click ‘Power Options’ under ‘Hardware and Sound’
  • Click ‘Dell Battery Meter’

You may update the BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/1cncvsF.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

4 Posts

June 27th, 2013 01:00

Dell Battery Meter says it's at 100% and that my battery is performing normally. BIOS is already updated to new version. I drained the residual power, will just have to wait and see now if/when it cuts out again.

1.5K Posts

June 27th, 2013 06:00

Hi spectre289,

As the ‘Dell Battery Meter’ says the battery is working normally, the battery doesn’t seem to be faulty. Sometimes it may happen due to the residual power.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2013 10:00

I'm still having the same issue, the laptop still randomly immediately shuts off and I have to drain residual power each time to get it to turn back on.

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 18:00

Hi spectre289,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may update system BIOS, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/15gRRbb.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

4 Posts

July 13th, 2013 08:00

I ran the test but no error messages came up, it said everything was fine. I have managed to identify what exactly triggers the shutdowns though. It seems to be whenever the lid is opened out further, even a tiny bit, that it shuts off immediately. I can close the lid as much as I like and nothing bad happens, it is only when opening it out further. The BIOS is already updated to the latest version.

1 Message

December 27th, 2016 19:00

good

No Events found!