Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2013 19:00

Inspiron 1735 touchpad

I have an Inspiron 1735 running Windows Vista. The touch pad is hypersensitive and I would like to disable the touch pad especially when I am a mouse user. There is no tab or property that allows that to be done. In Control Panel, Mouse Properties, Dell touchpad properties, clicking on change settings as Administrator (which I am), the screen persistently reverts to Dell touchpad properties and notifies me that the device is working properly. I would like help in disabling the Dell touchpad or entirely removing it from my computer.

3.1K Posts

September 18th, 2013 22:00

Hi samwerld,

I was unable to find Inspiron 1735. Are you referring to Studio 1735?

If yes, then I would suggest you to update the touch-pad drivers from the following link http://dell.to/14kQCdm 

You may adjust the Touch Sensitivity and TouchCheck settings in the Touch Pad Settings section of the Dell Touch-pad Properties. The Device Select section of the Dell Touch-pad Properties has options to enable or disable the touch pad.

In case you are unable to find the option to disable the touch-pad, then go to Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in run window) -> expand Dell Touch-pad -> right click and choose Disable.

5 Posts

September 28th, 2013 16:00

Expanding the Dell Touchpad in device manager and selecting properties brings up the option to disable the device, but it is greyed out and therefore there is no response clicking on it. Do you have any other suggestions?

5 Posts

September 28th, 2013 16:00

Thank you for the suggestions. I downloaded the touch pad driver from the link you provided. It downloaded as R192617. However when I tried to install it the message came up that it was not for this computer.You are right that my computer is Dell Studio 1735. As that did not work, I will now try going to the Device Manager. Thank you.

3.1K Posts

October 1st, 2013 02:00

Hi samwerld,

Try to disable the touchpad by going to the Dell Touchpad properties. Look for the option Device Select option. Check if you see an option which says 'Disable touchpad when external mouse is present.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2013 19:00

Hello Appu S. I do not have the option of Device Select in Touchpad Properties. I am including screenshots of "Touchpad Properties". Thank you. I have not yet figured how to reduce the size of the screen shots-sorry.

3.1K Posts

October 4th, 2013 22:00

Hi samwerld,

Thank you for the detailed response. To access Dell Touchpad properties, press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key to open the run window. Type 'main.cpl' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok'. Click on Dell Touchpad. Look for the option Device Select option. Check if you see an option which says 'Disable touchpad when external mouse is present.

Alternatively, you may download and install TouchFreeze which automatically disables the laptop’s touchpad while typing.

No Events found!