Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

Z

3 Posts

March 20th, 2006 16:00

Inspiron 5150 - blank screen with blinking cursor - motherboard?

My insprion 5150 will not do anything when i power on, no flashing lights no BIOS screen only a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I called Dell and am told this sounds like a motherboard problem. Of course my warrenty just expired a month before this happened!!!

This would be the 2nd time my motherboard would have to be replaced with this laptop not to include many other defective items that have also been replaced! Very frustrating :smileymad:

Upon searcing the web for answers i found that this is a defective design problem with the making of the dell inspiron 5150's and that dell will not recall the product or admit that there is a problem!

Is there anyone out there that has had this same issue and has gotten results from Dell. Please let me know if the motherboard is a quick fix (souldering) or do i really have to replace the motherboard?

thank you

5 Posts

March 21st, 2006 00:00

i don't know if this the ssame thing as you but when the laptop is moved or touch in the front by the touch pad on either side the laptop shut off and then sounds like it trys to start again, but does nothing the screen is black.

this happens if you pick it up, touch either side left or right of the touch pad.  not sure if it the dvd drive, if you press in that area under neath it does it.

well the warrnety is way over with.

also noticed that the battery says for model 1100 i think can't pull it when i'm typing only

so no clue what a waste of money

3 Posts

March 21st, 2006 14:00

Thanks for the info but no, i have gone through every diagnotic test even shook the thing around! i think it's dead.

Does anyone want to buy it from me to sell out as parts?

21 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 03:00

Hi
this is the number for Dell out of warranty repair service-- 1800-288-4410  extn-7260623.

6 Posts

March 26th, 2006 00:00

Still drives me nuts!
I had my 5160 motherboard replaced while my system was under warranty. That was when my system was approximately 6 months old. When my system was 15 months old, had the same problems, but Dell would not fix because warranty expired. This IS a faulty design problem. The power connector is very poor. I believe Dell corrected the problem because the battery chargers they now sell for the 5160 is of a different design. Because Dell has identified and made changes to the motherboard, I think they should replace mine and other motherboards like yours. Remember, I was under warranty when this occurred the first time. If you look on this and other message boards you will see this is a problem for many 5160 users. Dell should help us out to protect their brand name.

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2006 19:00

@ali5 wrote:
Hello,
I too had a power problem with the Inspiron 5150, after a few questions and research I found it was probably time to replace the battery. Although I was uncomfortable with the adapter as well (checked that to see if power was coming through the cord, there was).
While looking through the forum I found that a lot of people were having problems with this model and the charger due to poor design. The adapter with any slight tug would come out.
Anyway, I decided to buy both a new battery and adapter to positive that each were new. The battery does say 1100 on it, when I spoke with a rep. they said it was compatible and that is all they use for replacement on the 5150.
Of course while on the phone, he would not believe me when I said there was not a reset button (on the old battery or new). There aren't any buttons on these batteries.
This was about 3 months ago. Now it is acting up again, won't charge or get power from adapter exactly what was going on with the old. I have found that the port it plugs into is the problem, the adapter is giving power but the port (plug) will not get it. I'm pretty sure I could have used the old battery for awhile longer, even though I didn't mind getting a new one.
After trying many things while moving the adapter I could see at certain movements the light would blink and and if held in the right position there was power.
Now I can charge the battery only when I have the cord pulled up and tight from behind the screen ( I secure it in the position with tape in several places). It takes a few times to get the position correct, but for now I can still charge the battery.
Today I will start trying to find the part for the laptop plug. I refuse to give dell anymore money for faulty parts. They know of this problem and should recall this part and replace it for free. They fixed the error with the next model so they know.
I have also been hearing a lot of computer tech's, and people who work on computers (not tech's, just learned by playing with various computers). They all have said Dell is no longer a great company to buy for. Many have said your better of going to Wal-mart and picking up any computer than to go through Dell.
I guess they used to be really good, now they are too big and don't care anymore, parts there using are not as good and the service alone is awful.
I have been thinking about about getting another laptop and desktop, I look at there items and still am undecided if I want to risk buying from Dell.
Ali
P.S. They also told me it was the motherboard and it should be replaced. I am so glad I didn't believe that, saved a lot of money.

Hey,
Yes, the problem I had is in the internal power connector. I had 1 board replaced, but it has the same defective design and is now bad. I sent it to NY to get repaired rather than paying Dell $500 for another defective board. If it works I will post their info on this board.

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2006 19:00

Hello,
  I too had a power problem with the Inspiron 5150, after a few questions and research I found it was probably time to replace the battery. Although I was uncomfortable with the adapter as well (checked that to see if power was coming through the cord, there was).
  While looking through the forum I found that a lot of people were having problems with this model and the charger due to poor design. The adapter with any slight tug would come out.
  Anyway, I decided to buy both a new battery and adapter to positive that each were new. The battery does say 1100 on it, when I spoke with a rep. they said it was compatible and that is all they use for replacement on the 5150.
  Of course while on the phone, he would not believe me when I said there was not a reset button (on the old battery or new). There aren't any buttons on these batteries.
  This was about 3 months ago. Now it is acting up again, won't charge or get power from adapter exactly what was going on with the old. I have found that the port it plugs into is the problem, the adapter is giving power but the port (plug) will not get it. I'm pretty sure I could have used the old battery for awhile longer, even though I didn't mind getting a new one.
  After trying many things while moving the adapter I could see at certain movements the light would blink and and if held in the right position there was power.
    Now I can charge the battery only when I have the cord pulled up and tight from behind the screen ( I secure it in the position with tape in several places). It takes a few times to get the position correct, but for now I can still charge the battery.
   Today I will start trying to find the part for the laptop plug. I refuse to give dell anymore money for faulty parts. They know of this problem and should recall this part and replace it for free. They fixed the error with the next model so they know.
   I have also been hearing a lot of computer tech's, and people who work on computers (not tech's, just learned by playing with various computers). They all have said Dell is no longer a great company to buy for. Many have said your better of going to Wal-mart and picking up any computer than to go through Dell.
  I guess they used to be really good, now they are too big and don't care anymore, parts there using are not as good and the service alone is awful.
 I have been thinking about about getting another laptop and desktop, I look at there items and still am undecided if I want to risk buying from Dell.
Ali
P.S.  They also told me it was the motherboard and it should be replaced. I am so glad I didn't believe that, saved a lot of money.

3 Posts

April 5th, 2006 21:00

So if it's believed to be just a power problem with the a/c charger then i would think i would have no power at all but i do have that blinking cursor which to me says that it must have some power... right?

13 Posts

April 10th, 2006 14:00

Hi,
Yes, Please if it works I would love to get this fixed. It's a hassle to pull the cord up tight and tape it down to get the power and cgarge the battery. For now it works fine once the connection takes, I can use the laptop forever. Of course with the cord pulled over the monitor it's kind of an eyesore but hey it works for now.
 I have seen other posts where the are looking for the part in the laptop (outlet). I too would love to find this part. I can replace myself if I can find it.
 Thank you,
Ali

13 Posts

April 10th, 2006 14:00

Yes, there would be zero power. Nothing going on blinking, lights,etc...
It is seeing some power, just not completly. I have posted what I have done to get power until I find the part.
 I had to keep trying different ways of moving the cord, then pulling it up tight over the monitor, it took.
That may not be with all, it might be down or to a certain side. All I know is that after buying new battery and adapter, then within a few months the same problem happened is when I knew it was the connector in the laptop.
 This takes some time but may work for others as well.
Thanks,
Ali

6 Posts

April 10th, 2006 16:00

I USED THE FOLLOWING COMPANY FOR MY REPAIR. $189 PLUS SHIPPING. THEY PROVIDED GREAT SERVICE AND TURN AROUND.

AQS COMPUTER SERVICES

2572 SHERIDAN DRIVE

TONAWANDA, NY 14150

ATTENTION: JOE KABALAN

No Events found!