Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 5559 says it isn't charging, appears to be doing so anyway?

So,
I checked the BIOS when my laptop started not being able to charge, and it said that the battery was in excellent shape but the charger wasn't recognized
Replaced the charger

Charger is now recognized, Battery is in excellent shape
Still doesn't show up as charging.
Did a diagnostic test, battery is fine. Charger replacement is new and Dell brand.

Battery jumps to 95% when unplugged, eventually jumps to 100% while plugged up, never shows as charging.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

The system runs without the AC adapter ? If yes, ....

1. Power on system without AC adapter

2. Type Device Manager onto search box, expand Batteries, right click "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery", and select uninstall . On the Device Manager Taskbar, click 'Action', and then Scan for hardware changes.

2K Posts

May 5th, 2017 01:00

Hi KBSIMPSON,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If the adapter fits in loose, then the dc port is needs to be replaced. 

You could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

You could also order the parts online here - http://bit.ly/2pfxgow

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!