Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 21st, 2010 17:00

Inspiron 6000 (I need to flash the bios)

I put a password in cmos. Now I cant for the life of me remember! I cant do ANYTHING! I need to flash the bios. Will someone please tell me how to flash the bios so I can acually use this laptop.

Thank you

14.4K Posts

March 21st, 2010 17:00

That will not work. The password will still be there. You will need to call Dell, pay $50 and be able to prove you are the owner of the laptop to get the master password to reset or clear it.

64 Posts

March 21st, 2010 20:00

:emotion-2:The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 21st, 2010 20:00

:emotion-2:The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Due to prevalence of theft, CMOS data on laptops is stored in Flash memory which is not effected by CMOS battery removal. If you don't understand how Flash memory works, Google it.

1 Message

January 29th, 2011 14:00

Is there any way to reset the BIOS password for my Inspiron 6000 without paying $59 to activate the warrenty for Dell to give me this password?   Considering this is my computer, I should not have to pay $60 bucks for a password reset.

Thanks

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2011 14:00

Is there any way to reset the BIOS password for my Inspiron 6000 without paying $59 to activate the warrenty for Dell to give me this password?   Considering this is my computer, I should not have to pay $60 bucks for a password reset.

Thanks

No there is no way. This is a sort of security mode. since you are most likely out of warranty the service will cost and you will have to be able to prove your are the owner of the laptop.

With the vast amount of laptops that are stolen each year this is not an uncommon procedure.

1 Message

November 17th, 2011 06:00

Contact me Via email I can help you clear your password.. < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

No Events found!