Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

July 26th, 2005 15:00

Inspiron 6000 USB Ports

Having trouble getting my 6000 to recognize new hardware when I plug into USB ports.  Have tried both printer and digital camera.  Both worked fine with my old computer on Windows ME, neither have worked on Windows XP. 

When I plug into the USB port, I hear some beeps but don't get the add new hardware pop-up.  When I try to add new hardware manually it tells me that it doesn't detect anything.

I'm at a loss.  HELP.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

2.6K Posts

July 26th, 2005 15:00

cdrr,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

Could it be that both of the devices you’ve tried to connect need new Win XP drivers? Make sure the devices are compatible with WinXP.

4 Posts

July 26th, 2005 17:00

Yes, I'm sure they need new XP drivers, but I thought XP would recognize that and the add hardware wizard would ask for them. 

Should I install the new drivers before I try to install the printer and camera?

Thanks again.

14.4K Posts

July 26th, 2005 18:00

By any chance did you reinstall your operating system?

7.9K Posts

July 26th, 2005 18:00

if it beeps then it is being detected in some way.  check in device manager and look for yellow signs that will give more info on what is going wrong

4 Posts

July 26th, 2005 19:00

No, I have not reinstalled my operating system.

I have checked device manager and it says that all USB ports are operating normally.

Thanks.

7.9K Posts

July 26th, 2005 19:00

right, but if it beeps, there's usually some sort of icon associated with the device you just plugged in

4 Posts

July 26th, 2005 20:00

It does beep but I'm getting no icon of any kind and no new hardware wizard.

I'm stumped.  Is there a properties link to the USB ports that might have a setting to suppress any wizards or icons?  Just a thought.

4 Posts

August 28th, 2005 02:00

I am having the same problem also. I get no beep or any noise. I tries plugging in a MS keyboard and mouse, NOTHING. Tried a MS wireless mouse/keyboard, NOTHING.  Tried all the above suggestions, NOTHING. Any suggestions. This 6000 is less than 1 week old.
No Events found!