Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2010 18:00

Inspiron 6000 Win 7 NO SOUND SigmaTel Driver - Dell can u hear me

Just upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate - did the compatibilitycheck before and no issues.  Upgraded - now no sound!!  Is there any way of getting my SigmaTel C Major Audio driver upgraded so i can hear something.  I have looked on the net and this is possibly an issue which was not picked up by the 7 advisor.  Is there any way I can get sound?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 18:00

Download the Sigmatel R99254 audio driver. Unpack it (unzip) but cancel the installation process. Go to the hard drive to:
c:\Dell\Drivers\R99254
Find the setup.exe file and right click on it. Select the Properties. Find the compatibility tab and select Vista compatibility. Finish installing.

13 Posts

August 5th, 2010 03:00

The link does not work and appears to be for  a Dell latitude.  I have installed the driver - Inspiron 6000 xp driver and updating thru device Manager-  rather than running the installer - driver installs but I still have no sound from either the built in speakers or external speakers.

Does anybody have this working and get sound from the builtin speakers or external speakers under Windows 7 Ultimate?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 5th, 2010 05:00

The link does not work and appears to be for  a Dell latitude.

The link works for me  -- I'm using Firefox but it should also work with IE. The driver is for the following models:

Inspiron 6000
Inspiron 9200
XPS/Inspiron XPS Gen 2
Inspiron 1200
Inspiron 2200
Inspiron 9300
Latitude D410
Latitude D610
Latitude 110L
Latitude D510
Latitude D810
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M70
Latitude X1
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M20
XPS/Inspiron M170

13 Posts

September 6th, 2010 00:00

Hi,

Well I have spent ages on this problem.  Have deleted all drivers reinstalled using the let me choose the driver and going to the folder etc.  Still no sound. I wonder whether anybody else has had this problem as I still do not get sound out of the Laptop - either thru the built in speaker or external speakers.  The driver appears to be installed OK - In Control Panel I have a Sigme Tel Icon with some basic options, under Device manager Sounds there is an item SigmaTel Audio with the driver installed saying item is working and there are no conflicts.

The only other query I have is that if I look in device manager under System Devices and look at the item System Speaker > properties> general tab it says there are no drivers installed for this item.  If I then look at the driver tab for this it says there is a Microsoft driver installed.  Not sure if this has some impact on my problem but I am running out of options to look at!

Help and guidance is appreciated - especaillay if you have your Inspiron 6000 sound working with Windows 7.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 6th, 2010 05:00

Have deleted all drivers reinstalled using the let me choose the driver and going to the folder etc. 

But did you install it using Vista compatibility mode? I hope you saw my last post where I corrected my earlier wrong instructions. This has worked for others who needed to install the Sigmatel audio driver into Win7 on their Inspiron 6000's.

If it does not work after that try running the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means.

13 Posts

September 7th, 2010 00:00

Jim,

I did see the note but perhaps after I installed using XP compat mode.  On looking there are three choices of Vista mode - will anyone work or should I use a specific option -Vista, Vista sp1 or Vista sp2.  As this was an acquired laptop no diagnostics or Cd's and have reformatted the drive and installed Win 7.  If I uninstall the driver Windows 7 wants to automatically install it - how can I avoid this?  Dont have the resource CD but no doubt I can download it.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 7th, 2010 06:00

If I uninstall the driver Windows 7 wants to automatically install it - how can I avoid this?

When you download and unpack a Sigmatel audio driver, it creates a new folder on the hard drive for the files. By default it is in this location:

c:\dell\drivers\R...

When you "uninstall" the driver that folder remains on the hard drive and when you reboot then Windows re-creates the driver from those files. There is an an option to delete the driver files when you are uninstalling the driver and that will remove the folder, but if there is a different or earlier version of the driver on the hard drive, when you reboot Windows will re-create that version of the driver. So the best way to dlete the driver files is to go to

c:\dell\drivers\

and expand all folders and subfolders there. Delete all folders that have a subfolder named "WDM". Those will be the Sigmatel files folders. You should not need to reboot. If you had had HD audio --which all new computers have had for several years -- both Vista and 7 have a generic Intel HD audio driver which would be installed when you reboot after deleting all of the Sigmatel files. But your mother board has the older AC97 type of audio and Vista & 7 do not have a generic AC97 driver which is why you have to try to get an old Sigmatel driver to work. The reason for using the Sigmatel R99254 driver is that it is a Vista driver (as well as XP and Win 2000) and Vista is similar to 7 in the way audio is handled. As far as I know it makes no difference whether you use SP1 or SP2 compatibility. I would use SP2 (run as administrator) and if that does not work redo using SP1.

If still having problems go to Intel to get the 7 chipset software for the 6000. It will be the Intel® 915 Express Chipset Family. I don't think this is necessary but it can't hurt.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

You can get the Dell Dignostics from the Inspiron 6000 downloads page. Diagnostics does not run in Windows -- you have to boot up into the Diagnostics which normally is on a hidden partition on the hard drive. I have not tried it but I think the best version for you (there are several versions) might be the ISO image. It looks like it might make a bootable cd from which to run Diagnostics. But if you had audio before installing 7 then you probably do not have a hardware failure, but you never know.

1 Message

December 6th, 2010 21:00

Thank you so much for the advise! 

February 18th, 2011 01:00

Download the Sigmatel R99254 driver. Unpack it but cancel the installation process. It will unpack the files and store them in a folder on the hard drive at c:\Dell\drivers\R99254, and that folder will have a subfolder named WDM.

Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it (or if that is not there then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller") . Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it. Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM

With any luck it should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

Sigmatel R99254 driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R99254&SystemID=LATITUDE%20PRECISION%20M70&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6466&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=128550

It's helpful to me, Thanks for your help! It's very useful.

1 Message

May 7th, 2011 01:00

check this links it worked for me dell inspiron 6000

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-Vista-Windows-7/3000-2120_4-10962344.html

all other drivers are windows 7 including wireless

2 Posts

December 6th, 2011 17:00

Thank You! This did the job for me.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 6th, 2011 17:00

Glad it helped.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 16:00

This worked perfectly.  Thank you.