Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

February 20th, 2008 03:00

Inspiron 640m giving trouble

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron 640m laptop. Recently I decided to install Ubuntu (linux) operating system on my laptop. I did all the basic things required such as making partition etc. However, the ubuntu operating system i installed was not working. It gave me a error "Grub18." Therefore I decided to reinstall the XP operating system from Dell. In the process of installing the XP I formated my hard drive and installed the XP. However, now even that doesnt work. It shows me this on the black screen: "Error: press ctrl + alt + del" when i do that restarts the bios but again gives me the same error. In short I dun have a operating system on my laptop anymore. Help would be appreciated...

THanks

Aditya

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 20th, 2008 10:00

Boot the XP CD and drop to a command line (choose Repair).

From the command line, type

fixmbr,

then

fixboot,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 11th, 2010 19:00

Yes, there is - how it's done depends on the OS(es) you're loading.  The way to do it for Windows is detailed above.  You can also manually write a boot sector using grub (or lilo, or whatever version of Linux) as well.

September 11th, 2010 19:00

Same problem here, except that when attempting to reinstall another OS, the partitons were deleted. Now, when I try to install whatever from the CD/DVD unit, the PC just displays MBR 1 done... bootmgr missing... Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

I have configured the BIOS so it will boot first with the optical unit and even pressed F12 to select the optical unit to boot, but no matter what I do, it always tries to boot from a non-existent partition. Using the original restore disk is not an option, since I need to run another OS. Is there a mythical key combination to get reid of the MBR and replace it with my own? Thanks for your time and input!

September 11th, 2010 20:00

Thanks for your prompt response, Ejn63.

If I can pop any Windows/Linux disk and install the contained OS, maybe what is wrong is the CD/DVD unit... I have several original Windows (XP, Vista, 7 & Server 2008) tested to work, but when I put one of them in the Inspiron, the laptop complain the bootmgr is missing. I could try to test this idea making a bootable USB. Thanks again, you gave me hope :)

No Events found!