Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2016 07:00

Inspiron 7559 stereo mix recording

I've had my Dell Inspiron 7559 since Christmas Eve 2015 and I have the 4K touchscreen i7 6700HQ 16GB Ram GTX 960M 4GB VRAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD and I want to start with the minor issue about some pixels being blurry and the wrong color, I painted a single free form white line on paint on a black background and inspecting the pixels closely I saw that some pixels were turning green despite being supposed to appear white.

And sometimes automatically the screen adapts its lighting depending on what range of pixel color takes up the most space, for example resizing  a steam window (dark) will affect the overall mood of the screen slightly changing the color of other windows, especially noticeable with white windows.

My main complaint is this: I've had lots of trouble with audio.

I've read that there were static y pop noises on many models, I get that too, then I noticed I was unable to record with stereo mix while headphone/earphones were plugged in the jack output back in january 2016, I haven't tested if I still have the issue right now because another problem came up which made me avoid recording on the laptop altogether

When recording with stereo mix, even with dell audio maxx enhancements disabled, only the low frequencies are recorded, be it with Windows store's voice recorder or audacity, and I've compared the spectra of a recording I made with the 7559 laptop's stereo mix and that of my other pc's recording and for the 7559 the spectrum only showed me the low frequencies being recorded, and it could be heard that only bass frequencies had been recording, it gave the audio a muffled effect when I played back the recording.

I tried to uninstall drivers, I don't remember how but I managed to get it back for some time and I could record with correct results until the problem came back for a reason which I'm not aware of.

The speakers saturate when there are low frequencies even at low-mid volume, and sometimes low frequencies are not heard at all with some more complex bits of audio.

Recording video with audio with Nvidia's shadowplay somehow works perfectly though, despite the static pop noise and the bad quality of stereo mix recording audio

I'm frustrated by the bad quality of audio related applications, I've had graphics issues related to nvidia's bsod-provoking drivers in end of december and I had someone at Dell walk me through possible solutions and I was very satisfied by the quality of their support for this issue, but now I'm afraid my sound related issues can't be solved because of bad quality control with drivers, software or device/peripherals.

I repeat, I had in fact managed to restore good quality recording with stereo mix but somehow after a while and after turning back on the pc as usual it re introduced the problem and my recordings would only produce low frequencies.

I'm awaiting answers and hope I'm provided with effective solutions but especially quality support.

(I'm also considering never buying a laptop from Dell again)

the warantee remains valid until dec 17th 2016

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 24th, 2016 06:00

...I hope I'm provided with effective solutions but especially quality support.

I think the best you can hope for is that we will try to help as best we can.

I've read that there were static y pop noises on many models,

The solutions that owners have offered are summarized in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ. There are about 10 of them in the Inspiron 7559 section. One owner had the "components" replaced.

I tried to uninstall drivers, I don't remember how but I managed to get it back for some time and I could record with correct results until the problem came back for a reason which I'm not aware of.

I would try all of the different audio drivers for the i7559 and see if one of them corrects the problem. If one does correct it, but the problem comes back, one cause of that is that Windows 10 frequently "updates" the system. [Don't think you mentioned which operating system is on the laptop].

Before trying the drivers, get rid of all of the Realtek driver files on the hard drive.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
4. Click "uninstall."
5. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
6. Restart the laptop. Because you removed the Realtek driver files, Windows will install its native audio driver, named "High Definition Audio Device".
7. Go back to the Device Manager and look for "High Definition Audio Device". If you see "Realtek High Definition Audio" again, that means that there was another version of the Realtek driver on your hard drive, and Windows found and installed it. So  keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place.

At this point, go to the Inspiron 7559 drivers html page and download a driver for your OS. Realtek audio drivers are available for the following 64-bit OSes: Win 7, Win 8.1 (WB64A), and Win10 (WT64A). Start with the oldest one for your OS, test it, then get the next oldest. If you proceed from old to newer you should not have to remove the driver files in between installations.

If none are satisfactory, you could also try one directly from the Realtek site.

1.Go to the Realtek downloads selection page. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
2. On the page click on "High Definition Audio Codecs".
3. Check "I accept" and then "next".
4. (optional) In the column named "Description" find the file named README and download it. That has the instructions for installing or updating.
5. In the column named "Description" select your operating system and whether it is 32bits or 64bits from the top 2 choices in the list.
6. In the column named "Download" click on one of the server names to download the driver.

(I'm also considering never buying a laptop from Dell again)

That's fair. I would suggest that whatever brand or model of computer, test it thoroughly while still in the return period, and return it if unsatisfactory.

October 30th, 2016 08:00

Thank you jimco for your help, I'll try out the solutions you suggested.

I did forget to mention the OS, true, it's a windows 10 by default and I didn't change it, save for the updates Windows suggests save for the Anniversary update which I haven't installed (yet) on the laptop.

As for the 4k screen color problems changing depending on what pixels take up the most of the screen and some single pixels surrounded by high contrast ones, do you know if it's related to drivers or are the pixels of the screen limited in terms of color fidelity ?

I tried reinstalling older nvidia and intel drivers to see if it changed anything with white pixels on black background turning green, well they still appear green sometimes. I'm unable to take a photo of the phenomenon, they're too blurry to illustrate.

Thanks for the support, I'm very happy with the laptop despite the problems though ! and I very much appreciate the tech support

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 30th, 2016 19:00

I'm sorry but I can't answer the questions about the pixels -- it is outside my area, and anything I say would just be an uninformed opinion. I would post those questions on the Laptop Video board.

November 26th, 2016 03:00

I'm updating my issue, for a moment I plugged in an external stereo peripheral player via jack plug before I used a recording software using stereo mix as its main recording internal peripheral and it recorded what I wanted fine with no reproduction issue whatsoever

Then I wanted to try out if this was the case for a different audio player so I used headphones instead of speakers and when I tried to record, it displayed nothing on audacity. So I took out the jack plug and tried recording using the integrated speakers of the pc to listen, and the issue with the low frequencies being the only thing I could hear returned. I have not found yet the driver that's able to correct this issue yet. I'm surprised I got three different results while recording in the span of 5 minutes.

When any jack player device is plugged in, stereo mix is deactivated, and while I was recording I plugged in and out the jack, stereo mix shifted between activated and deactivated and so it only recorded (with only the bass issue) when the jack was out.

I have no idea of why there was that first instance where the jack was plugged in and recorded perfectly without any reproduction issue. And I still don't understand how later with the jack plugged in stereo mix automatically got deactivated, and why while no jack was plugged in the audio recorded with stereo mix activated but it recorded badly

1 Message

January 16th, 2017 19:00

I had the same problem with Stereo Mix and only low frequency sounds being output. I'm trying to record the 7559 screen and audio with an HDMI A/V recorder using this setup:

answers.microsoft.com/.../4563a5f8-4be4-4463-b312-eff594a9ae49

Win 10 Home (all patches applied), BIOS 1.2.1, Realtek driver 6.0.1.7908 A06

Fiddling with the subwoofer and speaker levels In Dell Audio/Waves MaxxAudio Sound Manager, it seems that only the subwoofer channel is being fed to Stereo Mix. If you uninstall the Realtek driver and revert to the Windows HD Audio driver, Stereo Mix is not available.

The workaround I used is to disable Realtek HD and Waves MaxxAudio from Startup.

In Task Manager, under the Startup tab, I disabled:

- Realtek HD Audio Manager

- Waves MaxxAudio Service Application

Then restarted. I left the HD Audio Background Process enabled.

I'm able to record audio from Stereo Mix with the expected sound level and quality. It has not reverted to low frequency sounds as long as I don't use Dell Audio/Waves MaxxAudio Sound Manager to adjust levels. Once I use Sound Manager, the problem comes back. I only use the Windows taskbar volume control to adjust volume, however I lose the ability to adjust subwoofer and speaker levels independently, as well as the sound profiles and equalizer functionality.

Currently the speaker/headphone volume slider controls the master volume, which is unexpected. To get appropriate recording levels to the output device, I have to set the speaker volume to a higher level than I want to hear and the levels for Stereo Mix and HDMI/Intel Display Audio are always set to maximum. The levels of the individual output devices should be independent of speaker volume. The taskbar slider should still control speaker volume, but not affect levels to the other recording and playback devices.

No Events found!