Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

November 29th, 2004 15:00

Inspiron (8600) Hangs Blue screen and electrical Buzzing noise from video card

Hi

My system is an Inspiron 8600 (Win XP Pro) 1.4 Centrino with GForce Go 5200 Graphics Card

I seems to have problem with the Nvidia graphics card. When I play FS2002 after a while the system will hang into a blue screen. I have tried to update all bios for the card, Notebook bios and drivers. But this still happen.

Another problem is when I am using the notebook I hear an high pitch buzzing electrical noise each time I do an operation on the notebook (eg opening a window, opening a document for example.)

But the most evident is when I am using IE and surfing on the internet. (when I scroll up and down pages the buzzing noise can been heard). 

I have been reading in some Dell forums that this is related to Geforce 5200 card which is also used in the 8500 Inspiron and has plagued the 8500. Is this true?

I have tried checking and isolated the noice to the left side of the notebook underneath the keyboard section where I believe the video card resides.
I also found this interesting thing when upgrading the drivers when I install the older version of the Geforce drivers the buzzing noise is also louder.

The noise is not comming from the speaker or the audio connections as I mute the speakers and plug in headphones, I can hear the sound comming from the body of the notebook but not from the headphones or speaker even when muted.

November 30th, 2004 09:00

Hello.

I also have a recently bought Insp 8600 configured with the ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo. I also have the exact same sounds as you have described. Click on the link below:-

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=18354&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Some members there have managed to make the irrating sound go away but I couldn't :(. Actually, the noise is more towards the processor area if you said that the sound originates mainly from the left side of the keyboard (near the QWERT keys area). The graphics card is somewhere near the power button and the middle of the keyboard.

I highly doubt this problem is evident only in Inspiron 8600s or even the Dell line as I heard of reports from other users from other manufacturers (HP, Acer, etc) that they have exactly the same problem.

When you said that the lappy would hang when you played games on it, does it happen with only one particular game(s)?

Download I8kfangui and check the temperature of your graphics card. Download it at: http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

If it consistently high even when not playing games, it could be a defective installation of the heatsink. Ask for a replacement.

Cheers.
Amazingspeed

15 Posts

December 13th, 2004 08:00

My new 8600 had this problem too, like many of DELL laptops. Fortunately I found a suggestion by an end-user (not a DELL support tech!) that solved the problem. The solution that involves disabling window's power management for USB devices, plus some more descriptions can be found at:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=134149

Hope this helps you.:smileytongue:

No Events found!