Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2011 06:00

Inspiron 9300 NO SOUND

I have and old Inspiron 9300 that has no sound.  Device mannager gives me the following message: 

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

I uninstalled and tried to reinstall drives when I got the following message:

An error occured while unzipping. One or more files could not be unzipped. The error code is 40.

I downloaded the driver ( sigmatel STAC 975x AC97)  from a couple different sites. with the same result.

any suggestions all wise ones?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 8th, 2011 09:00

I have and old Inspiron 9300 that has no sound.

There are tips in The No Audio FAQ. If it suddenly stopped working then run the Dell Diagnostic audio tests to make sure the hardware is still working. If you re-installed the operating system then there are special instructions for installing the driver.

An error occured while unzipping. One or more files could not be unzipped. The error code is 40.

I can't imagine why you would get code 40 while unzipping, before you even start to install the driver, unless maybe the code is related to Dell Download Manager. I just downloaded Sigmatel R99254 (for the 9300) and unzipped it but canceled the installation with no problem. I don't think that just unzipping has anything to do with the audio. If you have been using Dell Download Manager then download with the browser instead of Download Manager.

I downloaded the driver ( sigmatel STAC 975x AC97)  from a couple different sites. with the same result.

That might not be significant. Most of the internet sites just link you back to the Dell ftp site, so you end trying to download the same file each time.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2011 13:00

thanks JIMCO,

Going through "The NO Audio FAQ" helped. I had to manually delete the old driver files found in C:/dell/drivers.  Restart and reinstall the drivers from dell. Success! thanks again.

No Events found!