Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

November 26th, 2005 01:00

Inspiron 9300 SD card does not work...

I have a one month old 9300 that will not load SD cards (no matter what brand).  I have tried the latest drivers from the site for the chipset.  I have tried to upgrade to the latest BIOS.  I have gone in the BIOS and made sure my USB is not set to DOS caompatibility.  I have made sure that all the most recent drivers are on the machine.

Has anyone found an answer to this problem?  Mine still does not work with XP Sp2.  Dell tech support is now telling me that if I bought the card from them they would support it, but since I bought a card from somewhere else they will not.  WHAT?

Kingsington cards are NOT MADE BY DELL!!!!  What difference does it make where I bought the thing?  I had it before I ordered the laptop. 

The laptop does not work with SD cards - XP SP2 was installed by Dell and the SD card has not worked since I got the machine.  And now they want me to call in and PAY FOR SUPPORT to get the card to work???

I was told by one support person to install the Ricoh CardBus Controller driver from my driver disk.  There was no driver disk...  That driver does not appear to be on the site anywhere... Can anyone find it?

14.4K Posts

November 26th, 2005 09:00

just checking but are you using the correct type of card?

November 26th, 2005 10:00

I have EXACTLY the same problem with a 3 week old Inspiron 6000. It has never detected a card inserted.

One part of the help desk suggested that there should be a RICOH driver under IDE discs in device manager, which is not there. It then says to download from a disc they didnt ship.

The instructions with "paper disc" shipped with the machine say you can restore from online, but doesnt suggest you can recreate the disc with the missing utilities. Grr. 

Another part of the helpesk suggested the RICOH driver is NOT needed with Win XP SP2. Grr.

???
Despite being an experienced systems engineer, and going through all the support site pages, I am confused.

Message Edited by GarfieldwithInspiron6000 on 11-26-2005 06:44 AM

14.4K Posts

November 26th, 2005 11:00

I can only confirm that you don't need a seperate RICOH driver for the SD reader if using sp2.

November 26th, 2005 11:00

Err - what does this mean?

Do you mean I do need the driver youve shown, but nothing else?

I dont have that driver? (I dont think)

Where should i see the driver?

Stil confused...

Still not accessing SD cards

14.4K Posts

November 26th, 2005 13:00

that driver is part of sp2.

you need to look in device manager sd host controllers> sda standard compliant sd host controller>properties>driver>driver details to get the above screen.

November 26th, 2005 14:00

Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate your help, but it is still not clear to me......

(1) Err - what does this mean?

Do you mean I do need the driver youve shown, but nothing else?  The example youve shown looks like a PCMCIA/cardbus driver - we are talking about SD cards. Is this correct?

(2) I found a reference on Dell support for Inspiron 6000 to an additional RICOH driver sitting underneath the "IDE controllers" as well as a "SDA SD Host Controller" under "SD Host Controllers". Do I need this or not wth XPSp2?

(3) The driver I have under "SD Standard Compliant SD Host Controller" is not RICOH but Microsoft;

Provider : Microsoft                Driver Date: 01/10/2002

C:\windows\system32\drivers\sdbus.sys 

File Version 6.0.4069.1 (xpsp2_sp2_trm.040803-2158) 

[NOTE: I have an Inspiron6000 not Inspiron 9300 ]

Message Edited by GarfieldwithInspiron6000 on 11-26-2005 10:48 AM

1.4K Posts

November 26th, 2005 15:00

One thing that all purchasers should do within the first 30 days of ownership is to email Dell support and ask for the CDs for everything that came installed on the system, including the Roxio cd- and dvd-burning software, the drivers CD, everything you need.  They will send them free of charge.  Excepting the operating system CD, which in the US costs $10.

November 26th, 2005 15:00

Heres a link to  Dell Support's reference to the SD card driver underneath IDE controller;

(I am in UK and my machine wasnt shipped with a "Drivers & Utilities" CD, just a piece of papaer with a reference to some online help?)

November 26th, 2005 16:00

Thanks for the advice - i am still within 30 days, just. (Not sure if this offer applies to UK, will check)

GOOD NEWS - And an Apology.  

****  My Inpsiron 6000 SD card does work. *****

My Inspiron 6000 as shipped from Dell DOES Support SD cards, when an SD card is inserted it does appear as a new removable drive "Drive E", but only after approx 20 seconds.

This is with just ONE driver, the SDA driver from Microsoft as detailed above. I do NOT have any SD driver listed under the IDE devices (eg: I dont have the RICOH one suggested by Dell Support)

My problem was I was confused between SD and MMC cards. I first started testing with MMC card, then discovered the slot only supports SD (the SD slot does NOT support MMC) and then I inserted an SD card and tried a number of different cards - nothing worked - but this was because it wasnt leaving it long enough before trying each card. I then thought the card I had left in for further testing was SD but  it was an MMC card. Ooophs.

NOTE:  - The Dell Inspiron 6000 doesnt even detect the insertion of an MMC card. SD works fine.

NOTE:  - The Dell Inspiron DOES take 20 seconds from insertion of the card and the new DriveE is mounted. 

November 28th, 2005 02:00

Yes, it is the correct type of card.  I tested it on a friends 6000 today.  And I had read that article before.

The machine came with XP SP2....  And the driver is the same as yours.  It still does not work.

November 28th, 2005 02:00

My card does come up, with an Error when that the drive cannot start.

It is an SD card.  The part that makes me mad is that Dell says they won't even talk to me about it unless I buy an SD card from them...  They want me to call a line FOR A FEE to get support on something that should work.

December 1st, 2005 03:00

Just to follow up with everyone...

A tech came today and replaced the motherboard in the laptop.  It now works correctly with NO software changes.  It was the card reader all along. 

Dell could have made it easier to get the service I needed, but it was finally done.  The machine is now 100% functional.

Thanks to everyone in the forums who helped out.
No Events found!