Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2011 22:00

Inspiron 9300 will not turn on

I have an inspiron 9300 that will not turn on.  I press the power button, the green power led comes on and a few seconds later it shuts off.  If I hold the power button, it cycles the light turning on for a few seconds the shutting off for a second and turning back on for a few seconds.  I've pulled the memory, battery, HD and re-inserted and nothing seems to work.  What are somethings that I can look for?  I really need to get this back up a going.  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2011 12:00

They're about the only real, discrete components on the system board (i.e., they're the only replaceable parts).  Just about everything else is handled by a highly integrated chip - if one of those is bad, or there's a bad solder joint somewhere, you're going to wind up replacing the board anyway, as it will be just about impossible to find and repair.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2011 04:00

Replace the system board.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2011 07:00

The fact that the system won't POST and you've tried all the basic troubleshooting points to a board problem.  One last check would be to verify that the AC adapter is OK - the LED on it should be ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, the adapter is bad - replace it.  You should also check without the battery in the system  -- if the system will power up without but not with a battery, then the battery is bad.

If the AC adapter is OK but the system still won't POST, the problem is almost certainly with the system board.  If you've the skills and equipment to repair one of the thousands of cold solder joints on the board - go for it.  More likely, you'll wind up spending hours on a wild goose chase and have to replace the board in the end, anyway.  There are solder points all over the board through multiple layers - finding the bad one is like finding a needle in a haystack, as it were.

29 Posts

July 29th, 2011 07:00

Why?  What could be wrong that I would need to replace the mother board?  I would consider replacing the mother board if I knew that that is the issue or if it is a bad solder joint I can fix it.  Can you tell me what the symptoms mean?  I forgot to mention that nothing else turns on beside the LED.

29 Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

I was just doing some searching and came across a post from a few years back that had the exact same symptoms.  He replaced the motherboard and it had no effect.  I just don't want to be in the same "boat".  This evening I will most likely be pulling it apart and re-seating the cpu and gpu.  The charging brick is good as far as having the power LED on but I haven't checked the output with my DMM.  Could it be that the charger connector has broken loose, it hasn't been charging and it's just completely dead?  I notice that even when I have the charger plugged in it doesn't show that it is charging/charged but I don't know if my sympoms align with that theory

29 Posts

Thanks!  I will be trying it this evening.  I'll try to get back with details either late tonight or tomorrow.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Check the BIOS setup - F2 at powerup.  If the AC adapter is listed as "unknown", it could be a bad adapter, bad jack or bad mainboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2011 11:00

Though the center pin is used in the adapter-detection circuit, even if it's bad, the system will power up (the battery just won't charge).

Unless there's an obviously damaged component near the power jack, the next step (assuming you can do it yourself - it's just not worth the cost to have it done professionally) is to replace the jack.  If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the mainboard.

29 Posts

July 30th, 2011 11:00

I pulled everything apart, re-seated the cpu and gpu.  I checked the voltage coming into the motherboard and the center pin measured 2.57V and the middle ring measured around 19V.  I unplugged the charger and measured the plug.  The center pin doesn't have any voltage coming out. Should there be anything there?  I tried the F2 button but the computer doesn't get far enough to load the bios.  All that it does is turn on the power led for 5 sec.  The fans etc. do not get powered.

29 Posts

July 30th, 2011 12:00

So, the issue is most likely the power jack/input circuitry?  I can definately replace the power jack.  I solder daily at my job.  I will be checking for a bad component.  What reasoning is behind pointing toward the power jack/ input circuitry?

29 Posts

August 15th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for the help!  I purchased a replacement motherboard and got a better processor and video card to boot.

No Events found!