Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2012 10:00

Inspiron M5010 - 7 beeps at startup (not powering up)

Dear community,

My Dell Inspiron M5010 is not powering up anymore: I get 7 beeps on startup and my screen remains black. I already tried different procedures to fix the problem (removing battery, let the computer cool down etc.) but nothing helped.

My notebook is only 1.5 years old!! I bought it in February 2011 and now it is already broken! How can that be?

I have been reading through the threads in this forum and on other websites and it seems that this is a very common problem. On Amazon all the reviews for this model are really poor, most of them indicating this exact problem.

I figured out that the 7 beeps mean that there is a processor/mainboard issue.

I am afraid what I should do now... School just started and I need my computer. But I am out of warranty. Are there any solutions out there for this problem?

I purchased my laptop in the US last year, moved to Europe in the summer and transfered my warranty. I am now back in the States.

Thank you for your help!

3 Posts

December 27th, 2012 07:00

Hello all,

I contacted Dell (Dell-Royan S) via friend request, and he got right back to me. He sent out a box for my laptop with instructions and postage via Fed Ex.

I just got my M5010 laptop back. Dell replaced the motherboard, audio board, heat sink, and bottom chassis. So far the laptop is working well.

My warranty was out, but Dell is standing behind their product. So far, I'm very impressed with  Dell's responsiveness and willingness to correct this problem.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2012 09:00

I can confirm what psfrie wrote above.

Dell-Royan S helped me to get my laptop fixed although it was out of warranty. After receiving a box, Dell repaired within a few days and it is now working again smoothly.

Thanks to Royan! He did an awesome job!

mkm_US

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 28th, 2013 12:00

:emotion-9:

7 beeps at startup (not powering up) = display bad due to gpu needing solder reflowing of Graphic chip with heat gun or lcd cable bad.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 10:00

Out of warranty repair estimates:

support.dell.com/.../expired_warranty

4 Posts

September 8th, 2012 08:00

OMG I am having the same problem as MKM_US. Hopefully there is an answer to this other than I need a new computer. HELP

1 Message

September 13th, 2012 23:00

Beep codes tend to be pretty accurate.  Odds are not in you favor, 95% motherboard...5% CPU. :emotion-6:

2.6K Posts

September 14th, 2012 01:00

Hello jepchik,

Please let me know the system model that you own.
 7 beeps on start up indicates the issue is with the processor.
If the computer has an active warranty, I’d request you to private message me the system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request; click  my user name and click start conversation. 
I’d be glad to assist you further and let you know the next course of action.

1.8K Posts

October 11th, 2012 06:00

Hi Alyssa-p,

I understand the frustration that you have gone through. I'll be more than happy to help you with this issue. 7 beeps on M 5010 indicate 'Processor failure'. At times, it may occur, if the processor is not seated properly. 

You can also follow the steps below to drain out residual power:

• Power off your computer.
  • Please remove the AC adaptor and battery of your computer.
  • Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain out the residual power.
  • Release the power button.
  • Insert the battery in and connect the AC adaptor.
  • Then try powering on the computer. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2012 06:00

Hello,

My Dell  inspirion m5010 worked fine the last time I shut it off.  The next evening when I went to turn it on it gave me the 7 beeps and then silence, and a repeat of the 7 beeps.  From reading these posts, it appears that this is quite a common problem with this model.  What I would like to know is whether or not this is a problem I can have fixed by DELL?  I believe that it is the motherboard which needs to be replaced - considering that after owning my laptop for just 7 months the AC adapter died, I had to purchase a new one.  It took about 10 weeks for DELL to properly replace the cord.  I spent over 10 hours on the phone with DELL representatives trying to have them replace the AC adapter.  They sent me to batteries, and I had to call and argue with them both times as my battery was working fine - finally after weeks and weeks I finally received my AC adapter - only for it to die about 6 months after this.  It seems that the m5010 is not a product built for longevity, I am thoroughly disappointed as I was a huge supporter of DELL and the quality of their products.

Will I be able to have my motherboard replaced or at least sent a new motherboard?  Considering the hassles I have been subjected too over the past 2 years I think that it would be the least DELL can do considering they have sold a faulty product.

What was the outcome to others with the same issue?

1.8K Posts

October 11th, 2012 07:00

Hi Alyssa-p,

You can private message the Service Tag of your computer. It is a 5-7 alphanumeric code on the bottom panel of computer on a white bar coded sticker. Once I have the system Service Tag and details, I'll be able to assist you with all the possible options.

3 Posts

October 11th, 2012 07:00

Hi Chinmay,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have tried all of the above mentioned suggestions and had no luck.

Is there a way I can speak with Customer Relations?

-Alyssa

October 12th, 2012 20:00

Hi Chinmay,

I had the same problem with my M5010 as well.I did as you instructed and now I'm actually typing this message to you from it. I was wondering though, even if this solution worked, would i have to eventually send it into dell for proper repairs or will this method be all that i need.

1.8K Posts

October 14th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

As you are able to use the computer, I would recommend you to update the BIOS of your computer.

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-

• Battery should have 10% or greater charge
  • Adapter should be connected
  • No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved

Link to download the BIOS: http://dell.to/Qelkuc

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Computer would automatically restart.

If the above step does not work, I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted with the results.

October 14th, 2012 16:00

Hiya I have the same problem, I tried what was suggested but no joy. Any help would be appreciated. Liz

1.8K Posts

October 15th, 2012 09:00

Hi Liz,

If you are able to boot your computer to windows, you can update the BIOS of your computer.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. 

• Click on the link:   http://dell.to/OukFUO
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • Go to “BIOS” and click on the BIOS available.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.

In case you are not able to boot to windows, I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

Awaiting your response.

No Events found!